Cupcake Beach opens today! Here's our cupcake interview



Name: Andi Bell

Age: 42

Location: Destin, Florida

Occupation: Executive Chef/Entrepreneur

URL: www.cupcakebeach.com

How long have you been baking cupcakes and what led you to start Cupcake Beach?

I have been baking cupcakes all my life. I started out baking with my mother, Janet, and my maternal grandmother, Meta, when I was a small child. I have been an Executive Chef in fine dining white tablecloth restaurants since graduating with honors from the Florida Culinary Institute in West Palm Beach in 1990. Since my daughter's attendance in a Pre-K program in 2005, and with all of her school functions, I rediscovered the joy of baking (and eating) cupcakes. I decided late last year that with all the cupcakes I was baking, it would only make sense to start a business and share my creations.

While you do offer full-size cakes, cupcakes are your main attraction. Why did you decide to focus on cupcakes and what's the main appeal of cupcakes for your customers?

I believe the main appeal of cupcakes to everyone is that they offer the satisfaction of a wonderfully sweet indulgence on a small less guilty scale of an entire cake. Once eaten, you know the old adage: “out of sight, out of mind.” My focus was also based on my retail space as well. I will be operating Cupcake Beach out of a small 100 square foot kiosk in an outdoor living center (mall).

You come to cupcakes from a history as a chef. If one were to have cupcakes as dessert after a meal, what would you recommend to go with the cupcakes (or vice versa)?

This would depend on what flavor you chose and what age group you were in. For a more sophisticated mature palette, I may recommend a nice hot cup of Guatemalan Coffee, a nice glass of red wine or port, or a simple cup of hot tea. On the other hand, for a young, more playful individual, I may recommend a simple glass of milk. However, there are also those who may choose to have a carbonated soft drink. Certainly not my personal choice, nor my recommendation.

What was the cupcake scene in your area like before you opened Cupcake Beach?

Nonexistent. Well, of course our local grocers carry them in their in-store bakeries. However, it was to my dismay to find that they were shipped in frozen and iced locally. The taste is very bland, to say the least.

What are your busiest hours? Is there a typical Cupcake Beach customer?

I have not yet opened. My grand opening is February 5, 2007. I predict my busiest hours to be on the weekends and after school. I also believe there is not going to be a typical customer. I believe that ALL people love cupcakes for ALL reasons. I believe the customers will range from 0-100, and will come from every background, both male and female alike.

You offer a variety of unusual rotating flavors such as Wahine, Pineapple with Citrus Icing, Moe Lasses, Molasses, Ginger & Clove with Cream Cheese Icing, Ultimate Sin, Apple with Praline Cream Cheese Icing, Elvis is in Destin, Banana w/Peanut Butter Icing, and Cinnabinabun Yum, Cinnamon Swirled with Cream Cheese Icing, among others. How did you come up with these flavors and which are (or do you think will be) your most popular?

My main interests in life outside of cooking/baking are music and surfing. Cupcake Beach has a Surf Shack theme and between the music and the lifestyle, I came up with the names and flavors. As an example,"Elvis has left the building," so where did he go? Destin, of course! I had a hard time coming up with a name for the molasses, ginger and clove, so I just decided to name it Moe, and then naturally I added the last name, Lasses. It just kind of worked out that way.

Were there any flavors you wanted to sell but that didn't pass the recipe test? Are there any flavors you plan to feature in the future?

Flavors I wanted to sell, but didn't pass the recipe test? No, not at all. But I have plenty of other recipes that I would like to eventually introduce, space is just an issue at the moment.

Aside from the flavors, what makes your cupcakes special?

I literally make them from scratch using the highest quality ingredients available and I also have a “secret” ingredient that will give the customer that certain distinction that makes you smile and want to come back for more.

Your slogan is "Cupcakes for All Reasons." What does this mean to you and what are some holidays or occasions people might want to have cupcakes to celebrate with (that they might not think of themselves)?

As far as I am concerned cupcakes are for any reason (i.e. ALL reasons) you so choose to indulge yourself in a small but sweet bliss of icing and cake. I adamantly disagree with the belief that one has to wait until a holiday or special occasion to enjoy life!

What's your favorite part of running Cupcake Beach?

My freedom to create magic that brings a smile to everyone.

And now for some personal questions:

How often do you eat cupcakes?

After every batch.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

Smiling.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

Red Velvet.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

Oh, now that's a hard one. I enjoy other baked goods just as much as a cupcake, but for all different reasons.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

Yes, an eco-friendly disposable cupcake to go container where they can be transported/shipped without disturbance.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I personally bake all cupcakes at Cupcake Beach.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

My younger sister sitting on her first birthday cupcake, instead of eating it!!

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

Making them with my daughter. Ohhhh . . . what a mess!

Do you have anything else to add?

I would like to personally thank you for all you do for all the Cupcakes of the World!

Comments