Pirate cupcake how-to





Blogger Lavender Lily blogged how she made these pirate cupcakes. Not sure if she was using Johnny Cupcakes as inspiration but looks a lot like his logo.

She writes:

I whipped up a batch of marshmallow fondant, because I knew that would be more efficient than using buttercream - I mean we were talking about 4 dozen mini cupcakes here. I rolled it out, used my smallest biscuit cutter to cut out rounds, and attached them to each cupcake with a dab of icing. (Confession time: I used a tube of white Wilton decorator icing. And boxed devil's food cake mix. Both things that I would never do if it hadn't been a last-minute project.)

I found a pirate flag graphic on the internet, scaled it down to 1" square, printed it out on cardstock, and cut out the skull and crossbones. One cupcake at a time, I laid the two pieces down on the fondant rounds and brushed over it with some chocolate "paint" (Special Dark baking cocoa, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk - there's probably a better way to do it but I was improvising). Then I peeled up the stencils with tweezers, blotted them with a tissue and laid them down on the next cupcake. It didn't take that long at all, believe it or not.

Comments

Mal said…
Awesome!

I'd add that it doesn't really look like a JC logo other than he used a skull and crossbones for inspiration too.
Carmat said…
I loved this idea, I tried it for my son's birthday. He is a huge pirate fan and was so excited to see these cupcakes at his party.
Thanks for the direction.