One Year Wiser

Hey everyone, Denise here…your guest “cupcake-ista” for Cupcakes Take The Cake. I’m thrilled to be posting on this fabulous blog and thought a good way to introduce myself would be by showing off one of my own creations. Check out these cute owls I made for my good friend’s birthday party.


I got the idea from one of my favorite cupcake books, “Hello, Cupcake!” by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson. If you don’t have this book already, you should seriously consider checking it out. While the book does provide basic cupcake recipes, the main focus is on decoration. The pages are filled with big, beautiful illustrations of everything from holiday ideas to freakishly realistic food items like corn on the cob and spaghetti and meatballs. There are step-by-step instructions, tricks and tips throughout the book.

 
For these owls I made vanilla cupcakes and chocolate frosting from scratch. I carefully separated Oreo cookies so all the frosting was on one side and used these as the eyes. I placed the two Oreo's white-side up. Next, I dabbed a little frosting on a Junior Mint and put one on each eye. To really give it a fun affect, I put the Junior Mints in different positions for each owl so they are looking different ways. For the nose, the book calls for banana candies (found in Runts) but I couldn’t find those so I improvised and used extra large Tic Tacs. The ears were the hardest part. I cut the rounded parts of the plain half of the Oreo cookies using a sawing motion with the knife. This part takes patience, but the result is awesome. I stuck the Oreo ears on the cupcake and covered them with frosting as the finishing touch.
 
The hardest part about making these cupcakes….eating them after your done!

Comments