Saturday Night Cupcakes


saturday_night_cupcakes, originally uploaded by alizinha.

I made these chocolate cupcakes (half vanilla buttercream frosting, half chocolate buttercream frosting) for two different friends' birthdays that I celebrated this past Saturday.

My two fellow cupcake blogger chicas were both at the first party, in the East Village. Got to chat with them and present birthday cupcake #1 to the first of the two birthday boys of the evening.

From there I hopped the L train out to the amazing Bembe, hoping to dance the night away.

I had a bit of trouble finding my way from the subway to the bar, so I got a cab, and eventually arrived at the bar. Gave the cabbie one of the cupcakes in a fit of kindness--sometimes it's fun to surprise someone with a cupcake when they LEAST expect it.

Once inside Bembe, I spotted birthday boy #2, found a corner in which to light the birthday candle, and then went over to completely surprise the boy, who was drunk off his ass, but called me yesterday to thank me for the delicious cupcake.

Comments

Rachel said…
These were, yet again, SO yummy. I could only eat half of one, which is saying a lot. They were gorgeous and delicious and looked so pretty, like the photo, but even better. Next time Alizinha makes cupcakes, y'all should be there for a taste! She is the best (and most prolific) cupcake baker I know, and lucky for me, I get to sample her cupcakes quite often. (I really don't mean that to sound dirty at all, promise. Someone asked me the other day what "hidden meaning" cupcakes have in my life, and I was like, "um, they taste good?") :)
It's funny how people want to give the word "cupcake" other meanings like that. On Sunday night at the Carnaval party, when I was doling out the other dozen cupcakes I made (but alas, did not photograph), a friend of mine was joking about "trying" my "cupcakes."

It's OK as long as it's not some skeevy person saying it...
writegrrrl said…
lovely cupcakes -- in the picture some of the frostings seem to have a metallic sheen. How do you get that effect?