another lovely cupcake interview

Filled with interesting, insightful, fun responses - but what else would you expect from such a fabulous writer?



Name: Martha Garvey

Age: 46

Location: Hoboken, NJ (birthplace of Frank Sinatra and the zipper)

Occupation: Writer/Teacher (short stories in "Best American Erotica" 2005, 2002, 2000, Salon.com, two new pet diet and exercise books: "My Fat Cat" and "My Fat Dog," both to be published by Hatherleigh Press summer 2005)

Her blogs: Movie Maven and Ask Martha

How often do you eat cupcakes?

Not often enough. Once a month, if my husband and I are taking our dog swimming...right down the street from Billy's bakery in Chelsea. Sometimes, after our dog swims, we go to Taylor's. Double happiness!

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

They are both messy AND compact, somewhat like myself.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

Chocolate with chocolate frosting with a little very fake candy flower on top. Artifice is very important.

Favorite place to get cupcakes?

Election Day bake sales in Hoboken NJ. Voting and cupcakes are very compatible. Cupcakes + Voting = Tasty Democracy. When I'm not voting, I like Billy's in Chelsea.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

Too often, I eat a brownie, only to realize in the middle that I really wanted a cupcake. Eater's remorse is my enemy.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

For his birthday, I like to give my husband a cake with a picture of our dog photoscanned on the top--but it's way too much cake for our bizarre little nuclear family. Cupcakes ARE the right size? Artfully photoscanned cupcakes are a must. Surely Martha Stewart is at work on this during her house arrest period.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I have not baked my own cupcakes since Home Ec in the early 70s, where I also made my own poncho. I do have plans to teach my very smart dog how to bake.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Mom and me in the kitchen. She's on the way to lead a department store boycott, but she's still helping me whip up the frosting for the cupcakes. Cupcakes + Civil Disobedience = world peace.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

I bought cupcakes in support of making New York City a no-kill shelter area at a benefit that was TEEMING with dogs, and while a dog licked me, I fed one of the cupcakes to my husband. Cupcakes + Dogs + Husband +
Philanthropy= Bliss.

Any other thoughts on the topic?

You and I are like cupcakes: we are tasty, and just the right size.

Comments