Cupcake Interview: Doug Gordon

Doug Gordon is a friend of Cupcakes Take the Cake, a fellow blogger and contributor to Gothamist Advice. He is also our first male interviewee. We may explore this topic further in the future, as the vast majority of our readers seem to be women. Another mystery I've revisited with this interview: Why doesn't Magnolia Bakery have a website? (If they do, please let us know)

Whoever you are, we want to hear from you! Thanks Doug for answering all our questions.

Coming soon: Cupcake interviews answers from us! Also stay tuned for Saturday's podcasting and photoblogging of our own cupcake baking adventures.

Name: Doug Gordon
Age: 31
Location: Park Slope, Brooklyn
Occupation: Writer/TV Producer
URL: Planetgordon.com

How often do you eat cupcakes?

Whenever I find myself within four blocks of Magnolia, Buttercup, or Sugar Sweet Sunshine.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

To paraphrase an old Bill Cosby routine, almost everything in them is good for you: eggs, milk, flour. Even chocolate is known to be
beneficial for your heart.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

Golden with chocolate buttercream icing.

Favorite place to get cupcakes?

I used to live near Buttercup, so I'm partial to their 'cakes, but
I've learned to make my own. Nothing compares to homemade, if I do say so myself.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

You know the saying that sex is like pizza because even when it's bad it's good? Same goes for cupcakes.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

Icing on the bottom. Too often I lick the icing off first only to be left with an icing-less cake. It would be nice to have a little surprise left after tearing off the wrapper, like in ice cream shops where they put a little hot fudge in the bottom of the dish before scooping in the ice cream for the rest of the sundae.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I've been going through the Buttercup Bakery cookbook, trying different combinations of cake and icing to make the perfect cupcake. I'm hoping to be the sommelier of cupcakes.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Aside from the standard elementary school birthday observances, I came late to true cupcake appreciation. I moved to New York about eight years ago. That's when my true love of cupcakes began. With apologies to my wife, it's been my longest love affair.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

Isn't it easier to have fun with just the icing? Cake doesn't spread as well as buttercream.

Any other thoughts on the topic?
I wrote a short script based on a trip to Buttercup titled,
appropriately enough, "Cupcakes." I'm hoping to shoot it this
spring.

If anyone is interested in reading the script or has any good advice on shooting a short, feel free to email me. It's about eight minutes long, or, to use another measurement of time, lasts about as long as it would take me to eat four cupcakes.

Comments