Cupcake Interview: Mr. Met



Mr. Met, originally uploaded by {Nichelle}.

Name: Mr. Met
Age: 41, made my debut on April 14, 1964
Location: Flushing, Queens
Occupation: Baseball team mascot
URL: Mr.Met

For Mr Met's less official duties: Joe's Mr. Met Index

How often do you eat cupcakes?
I have a few before every Mets home game.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?
Eating cupcakes brings me back to my early days. It was Casey Stengel who turned me on to cupcakes. Casey would whip up a batch before every game and use them as incentives for outstanding play. Fortunately for me the Mets weren't too good in the beginning, so I got to eat the leftovers.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?
Mike P... er, for a second I thought you asked "who is my favorite cupcake". My favorite type of cupcake is vanilla-lemon with orange and blue buttercream frosting!

Favorite place to get cupcakes?
I like the rich buttercreaminess of the frosting at Cupcake Cafe, but mostly I enjoy making them myself.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you? Cupcakes are small and roundish, much more baseball-like than most other baked goodies. But mute mascots with dangerously oversized heads can not live on cupcakes alone! For variety I also enjoy all sorts of pies, with apple and cherry being my favorites.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?
If they could only be made with Cracker Jacks inside...

Any other thoughts on the topic?
Just a little song I like to sing during the seventh-inning stretch:
Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some cupcakes and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back.
Let me root, root, root for Magnolia,
Sugar Sweet Sunshine is for me.
For it's one, two, three 'cakes we want,
At the old ball game.

Comments

Why, this is as American as baseball and apple pie (and CUPCAKES!).

I hate the Mets but I love Mr. Met!