Ron Mwangaguhunga cupcake interview!


Name: Ron Mwangaguhunga
Age: 33
Location: Brooklyn
Occupation: Columnist, Razor Magazine

How often do you eat cupcakes?

Not too often. Maybe once or twice a week. I don't really go out of my way, but if a bakery crosses my path, you know.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

I know it sounds cliche, but the icing. The icing is like lingerie.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

I had this amazing pumpkin cupcake with dark chocolate frosting at a bakery in Vermont once. I still dream of it, the
pumpkin was so fresh. There's something about that particular combo of pumpkin and dark chocolate. I
would almost prefer a chocolate truffle cupcake to sex. Almost.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

No comparison. A cupcake is a moist, compact piece of love, especially when someone bakes it just for you. A cake can be impersonal because of the scale. But a cupcake's size is tailored for the individual. You can taste the care going into it. When
someone bakes you a cupcake, that's serious business. You can't just blow it off.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

That's like asking Rembrandt to improve upon his self portraits. The formula works.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I haven't had a cupcake baked for me since my last girlfriend. I miss the cupcakes more than I miss the relationship. I haven't really tried baking cupcakes.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

A birthday party in Junior 1 at the UN School. In Uganda, where I was born, they don't really have cupcakes, or sweets for that matter. This girl, "Bennu," (I think she was the daughter of a Turkish dignitary) had a birthday in class and bought all these incredible strawberry cupcakes from some swishy Manhattan bakery. I remember that you could taste the strawberry seeds in the frosting and I can even now remember the moment I ate my last melancholy bite of that deliciousness.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

Are you trying to get me to say something perverse? Just eating a cupcake is fun!

Comments