Cupcake Interview with Playright Kathleen Warnock

Name: Kathleen Warnock
Age: Over 21
Location: NYC
Occupation: Playwright/editor
URL: www.enavantplaywrights.org

How often do you eat cupcakes?

Not nearly often enough.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

They're neat, sweet, petite.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

Chocolate with buttercream icing.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

They make me feel nostalgic. I've never had a
madeleine, but cupcakes do it for me like madeleines
did it for Proust.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

Handles! (just kidding).

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better)
have someone who bakes them for you?


No, I just head for Cupcake Cafe.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

My mother baking cupcakes for my Montessori class. I loved the beautiful, functional pans, and was enchanted by the fluted paper holders.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

Hmmm...licking the beaters clean (after they've stopped). Is that perverse?

Any other thoughts on the topic?

I'm glad that cupcakes are once more asserting their inherent supremacy of the pretenders that are muffins.

Comments