Deborah Graff cupcake interview


Deborah Cupcake
Originally uploaded by deborah_g.
Name: Deborah Graff
Age: 32
Location: Altadena, California
Occupation: Writer/Stay-at-home-mom
URL: margaret.aboutmybaby.com,
audrey.aboutmybaby.com

How often do you eat cupcakes?

At least once a month, currently. I have a personal goal of doubling that rate.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

The entire process is pure joy. First comes THE IDEA. I'll be sitting on the couch or lying in bed and it occurs to me: I can make cupcakes. Right. This. Second. Then comes THE BAKING. Scratch or mix? Paper liners or the shiny foil ones? Lovely decisions. Then comes THE FIRST ONE. The first must be eaten hot out of the oven with no icing. Pure cakey goodness. Then comes THE FROSTING. Ideally there are sprinkles or candy decorations involved.

Finally, it's CUPCAKE TIME. I like to arrange them prettily on a platter, even if they're only for me. Then I start eating (and maybe sharing).

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

Homemade yellow cake with chocolate sour cream frosting. Eat the first one by itself. Eat the second one in a bowl with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

Pies are for holidays. Cobblers are for potlucks. Cakes are for birthday parties. Cookies are for every day. Cupcakes are for the pure love of yummy
happiness.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

More liner options. Can't they make the paper more opaque and pretty?

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

My God, yes, I bake my own cupcakes. How else to get them JUST RIGHT?

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

My mom used to bake cupcakes and bring them to my classroom on my birthday every year. The very essence of motherly love.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

I'm eating a cupcake while I write this. Pretty damn fun.

Comments