Cupcakes Against Domestic Violence interview

Names: Alysia and Krista
Ages: 32 and 29
Location: Olympia, WA
Occupations: Barista/Fundraiser and Nursing Assistant
URL: http://www.myspace.com/cupcakesagainstviolence




How did Cupcakes Against Domestic Violence get started and what have you done so far? Do you have discussions with your customers about domestic violence, or are they there just for the sweet treats?

A: Cupcakes was a co-formed idea. Krista and I were brainstorming ideas for creative ways to raise money for Safeplace, a local non-profit organization aimed at helping women and children escape and conquer domestic violence situations. We both love baking and cooking in general and so it seemed only natural to have bake sales. We definitely want to educate customers and have pamphlets displayed for more information, but I think people mostly just come to shove cupcakes into their guts. That's okay too.

How many cupcakes do you bake for a typical bake sale?

A: Anywhere between 300-500 cupcakes.

Do you use your own recipes or someone else's?

A: We use our own recipes and sometimes we use recipes from The Cake Bible, Martha Stewart, and Hey There, Cupcake! We try to stick with our own recipe creations as much as possible though, especially when it comes to the vegan options. It's nice to say, "Why yes, they are original recipes!"

How long does the preparation take to make the cupcakes?

A: The preparation is split up between our group members and each person does about 100 cupcakes each. Krista and I usually do about 300. Our process takes a few hours to bake and about half that time to frost. The day before a bake sale is pretty much always devoted to prepping, baking, and organizing.

K: On the morning of the sales we are in a frosting frenzy.

A: Sometimes in the wee hours of the morning.

Do you experiment and try out new flavors?

A: We definitely like to experiment. I'm sure you can relate to how the cupcake can obsess the brain day and night. You start to think of a flavor and before long you're stuck with cupcakes on the brain. We try to keep the favorites at each bake sale with a mix of new to shake things up.

What have you learned about the cupcake baking process since you started Cupcakes Against Domestic Violence?

K: I have learned that we still have a lot to learn. I want to experiment with a lot more recipes, but I don't want to waste money that could be going to the cause. So it's a balancing act. Also, we end up eating way too many cupcakes. Last time I think we had nine flavors. Quality control, you know.

You also sell other baked goods, like brownies and cookies. Are the cupcakes gobbled up first, or is it an even split between cupcake, brownie and cookie lovers?

A: The brownies are usually a hit and go first, although we make a lot less of them. They're vegan, and also extremely fudgy. The cookies are always left, and we've been thinking about dropping them from the menu and sticking with cupcakes and brownies.

K: I want to do only cupcakes for our next sale and see how that goes, but I guess we'll have to discuss that with the troops at our next meeting.

What do you want people to walk away from your cupcake stand thinking?

A: Well they're always smiling so hopefully they're thinking, "That's the best damn cupcake I've ever tasted!" I'd like to think they're thinking they did something good for an important cause.

K: How about, "I wish those ladies had a store!" Sometimes they do say that and that's pretty cool.

And now for some personal questions . . .

How often do you eat cupcakes?

A: Not as much as I did before I started baking them as much as I do, still, we definitely have to taste test every cupcake we sell. It's a must.

K: Oh man, after our last bake sale I thought I'd never eat dessert again. But it's been a month. I'm okay now.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

A: The cake.

K: The frosting! This is where we are divided.

A: Lady, you can have my frosting.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

A: Hands down our mocha in your mouth cupcakes.

K: Right now I'm into our piƱa colada cupcake, but my all time favorite cupcake is the black bottom cupcake. You know the one--it's chocolate with the cream cheese and chocolate chips on top. We once won a pumpkin baking contest with our invention of a pumpkin bottom cupcake. Let's just say we've got a new innovation up our sleeves.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

K: Cupcakes have way more cute potential and in my book that is a good thing. Also, they have that donut thing going for them where you can pick out a dozen full of different flavors. Our customers clearly like that opportunity. I don't think anyone has ever gotten a package of all one flavor.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

K: If the cupcake could wear a veil I would consider marrying it like Pee Wee married the bowl of fruit salad on Pee Wee's Playhouse. Or maybe a tiramisu cupcake could be innovative.

A: I'd love to see wrappers for the Williams and Sonoma ice cream cone shaped cupcake tins. Oh man, I really want those tins but definitely not at $30 a pop.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

A: We always bake our own cupcakes.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

K: I can't remember my first cupcake! I think I was cupcake deprived, but my mom made up for it by making cool cakes shaped like alligators and rabbits and stuff. I am pretty nostalgic for the skull and cross-bone cupcakes I made for my kid's 5 th birthday pirate party.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

A: Now now, let's save this question for a different kind of interview.

Do you have anything else to add?

Come buy our cupcakes! We'll be at the Homo A GoGo craft fair in Olympia, Washington, August 5th from 12 – 6.

Comments