Red velvet perfection


Red Velvet
Originally uploaded by chefmommyof2
Three simple, perfect (looking) red velvet cupcakes from chefmommyof2 (love the Flickr name!).

We love cupcake photos here at Cupcakes Take the Cake, but I always wonder if they taste as good as they look. Sometimes I find the most gorgeous ones the ones I'd really be hesitant to eat; do I really want to be the one to make a mess of something someone so painstakingly crafted?

What do you guys think? How important is presentation when it comes to the taste of cupcakes?

Comments

I love red velvet cake! And the tops even look like little roses.
Alicia said…
A beautiful cupcake always tastes better to me. A feast for your eyes and then a feast for your tastebuds. Doesn't get any better than that!
Abby said…
You guys posted one of my pics last week (thanks again!) It wasn't perfect. I'm no pro! I even had someone on Flickr criticize its imperfects (how tacky, right?) But I didn't care. Those were AWESOME cupcakes. And very cute, in my opinion.

Aesthetics aren't the most important part of baking. The TASTE is!
Nightngle said…
I'm a firm believer in everything on a cupcake being edible and yummy. The red velvet cupcake with a pristine, perfect swirl of cream cheese frosting is so appealing. I also love the beautiful decorations, but only if made with good tasting ingredients like marzipan or modeling chocolate.

I do not care for the fondant craze in cupcake decorations - what's the point if you have to peel off the decorations to eat cake with a bit of crumb coating butter cream. I do really appreciate the artistry that goes into those creations, though - maybe they've found a good tasting fondant. :)
Saucy said…
I think it's totally 50/50 with cupcakes. Nothing is worse than an ugly cupcake with too little frosting or worse yet, thin, creepy frosting. Ugh. It has to make your mouth water to look at it!
Food is meant to be eaten and since we eat first with our eyes, it's an important element in the choosing. That's why I always make my cupcakes look real purty-like. But if you tell me it's good, and it looks like a train wreck, I'm all over it