Lessons in cupcake shipping from Sweet-N-Sassy Cupcakes

Sweet-N-Sassy Cupcakes Valentine's Day delivery

I've said before that I think a large part of the future of cupcakes, or at least, a large segment of the cupcake market up for grabs, is mail order cupcakes. Last week, on Valentine's Day, I got delivered to me in New York a dozen gorgeous cupcakes from Newark, Delaware's Sweet-N-Sassy Cupcakes. I'm not sure if they do mail order regularly, but they had it down! The cupcakes were packed with ice and silver foil wrap that kept them cold. They had straws and reinforcements to keep them upright. Even the box they came in was quite lovely.

Box from Sweet-N-Sassy Cupcakes

Triple chocolate cupcake from Sweet-N-Sassy Cupcakes

And the cupcakes themselves were so beautiful, with little flags announcing their flavor so you don't have the inevitable "Which one is that?" pointing that often ensues, each one a miniature piece of yummy loveliness. They even have custom wrappers with their name on the sides and logo on the bottom! I had a vanilla/vanilla one that was gorgeous. The frosting is piled high and I didn't eat it all, but I appreciated the very precise swirls and highly recommend their cupcakes.

Closeup on Sweet-N-Sassy Cupcakes

They've also done a great job with branding, from their catchy name to logo to cool t-shirts that we absolutely adore. I'm not in the cupcake business, but as a passionate and dedicated observer, I'd say that if you are going to open a cupcake bakery, especially in a town where there's competition (I don't think that's Newark, Delaware, but you never know), you need to make your cupcakes stand out. Just cupcakes aren't enough; you need to make them your own in some way and put your own spin on them. Even just having one signature cupcake or special touch in terms of decorating goes a long way to brand your cupcakes and make them memorable. Sweet-N-Sassy has done all this and more and we thank them for their major generosity as well as commitment to serving up some of the best cupcakes around!

Sweet-N-Sassy Cupcakes custom wrapper

Sweet-N-Sassy Cupcakes custom wrapper

All photos by Rachel Kramer Bussel

Comments

Anonymous said…
Rachel
I thought your comments were very true and I agree that they way Sweet-n-sassy packaged your mail order box was great.Cupcakes can be designed to personel the person recieving them, and the person giving.
Sunday Cook said…
How were those cupcakes attached to the bottom of the box? Double sided tape?

I have been trying to figure out how to ship cupcakes and that looks like a pretty successful effort!