Guest blogger: Becky of Project Domestication and Utah Loves Cupcakes

Today's super awesome guest blog post is by Becky who is a dual blogger, at Project Domestication and Utah Loves Cupcakes, which we love because there's nothing like someone local knowing their cupcake community and bakeries and the people behind them! And as if her post weren't wonderful enough, there's also a CONTEST. Thanks for the cupcake-licious post, Becky!


Cupcake: A noun, pronounced kəp-kāk. By definition it is a small cake baked in a cuplike mold. But to me it is a million times more than that-- it is joy, happiness, love, peace, childhood, comfort, celebration, growth, expression, creation and beauty. It's a word that I don't go a day without saying…

My love of cake desserts probably started in vitro. I come from a family who loves sweets, a family filled with great cooks and bakers and people who love to celebrate life. And of course, they all seem to share my affinity with buttercream. Some of my fondest memories involve desserts on Sunday evening.


(my birthday cupcake this year from So Cupcake)

There are other stepping-stones that led me to the wonder that is the cupcake. I'm a girl who loves a hobby and a girl who loves to learn. As I approached college graduation I made it a point to learn new skills, so I enrolled in a Wilton Cake Decorating Course. This and a fondant obsession (sparked by my wedding cake) forced my love to a new level. I began making cakes and cupcakes for friends and at weekly football tailgates.

(some of my creations)

Malted Chocolate Chip Mini CupcakesSt. Patty's Cuppycakes - Group


Baby Shower Cupcakes

Then the opportunity of a lifetime came. My hub accepted an internship in New York City, so we moved for a season. I'd say this was the catalyst that catapulted me into the cupcake world. Sure, I'd loved cupcakes before, but my eyes were opened to the cupcake culture. I was living, eating and breathing in the cupcake Mecca.

(some fave nyc cuppies)







Since then, I've been absorbing as much cupcake goodness I can get my hands on. I've been baking, shopping, thinking, dreaming, blogging and preaching cupcakes ever since. My NYC experience was only a short 8-weeks but it changed my life. I came back to Utah. I knew there was a cupcake scene here and I wanted to take advantage of it!

I wanted all the cupcake lovers of the world to know about it—I wanted them to know that there were others just like me here in Utah that loved cupcakes. I wanted them to know that UTAH LOVES CUPCAKES.

Enter: Utah Loves Cupcakes. The forum for cupcakes in Utah. The voice of cupcakes in Utah.



So the scene? What's it like, you say? Join me on a picture tour of Utah's burgeoning cupcake scene.

Utahn's have been making cupcakes out of their home for years, selling them to friends, boutiques, neighbors, bringing them into work and enjoying them with their family. A bulk of Utah's cupcakers come in this form.

One of my favorite Utah cupcake company's is an out-of-home custom cupcake business: Cupcake Chic. Owner Trista, takes custom orders as well as delivers cupcakes to coffee shops and cafes in Utah Valley.





My research tells me the first gourmet cupcake popped up in Utah at Les Madeleines five years ago. Romana rotates 20+ flavors and uses the best and most fresh ingredients. I'm a fan of her vanilla cream cheese buttercream paired with real white chocolate sprinkles on the Madagascar cupcake.



The first Utah cupcakery came in mini form. Mini's Gourmet Cupcakes has the mantra: Change Your Cup Size. You like? These are just the right size: about 3-4 bites.


(from flickr user Ali Loves, aka genius behind Your Heart Out, the must-read Utah lifestyle blog)

My favorites: the orange-cranberry featured this winter and the ever-popular diva cupcake.

Cupcakes are always sweeter when they tell a story and inspire, so this next cupcakery, So Cupcake is special to me. Read their story here.

So Cupcake (SLC) - Box and Logo StickerSo Cupcake (SLC) - box of cupcakes

So Cupcake in Salt Lake City, UT- storefront

Up next is The Sweet Tooth Fairy. She is no stranger to CTTC…and she shouldn't be. Megan's cupcakes are fabulouso and she's just as sweet. Her storefront is opening early 2009.



Cupcake Tower

The frosting! I have yet to figure out her flavor combination. Anyone know it yet? It's such a mystery! Megan, this kills me!

There are a few new kids on the cupcake block. Diva's Coffee and Cupcakes opened up in SLC in September. Disa, their pastry chef is baking up a storm of flavor in this cool-look-and-feel coffee shop. Their red velvet is one of the best I've tasted and the orange chocolate (below) is something I can't get out of my head.


A cupcake scene wouldn't be complete without a vegan shop, now would it! The Cakewalk Baking Company just opened in Bountiful last month! It just ain't fair for my vegan and gluten-allergic friends not to play the cupcake game.


(via their myspace page)

This isn't by ANY means all of Utah's Cupcake locations and businesses. Be sure to check out my list here.

Now…to add a little more flavor, enjoy some non-edible Utah cupcake goodies!


Cupcake Apron by Flirty Aprons. This one is phasing out soon--they are designing their own cupcake fabric!


Fine Art by Erin Westenskow Berrett



Cupcake stock photography by RubberBall Productions

CUPCAKE TOPPERS

Cupcake Photography- Little Starling Photography


Have I persuaded you to come to Utah yet?

I love Cupcakes. I love Utah. Plain and Simple.

If you are reading this and have either of these same loves (I know you do!). Check out Utah Loves Cupcakes. Join our Flickr pool, follow me on twitter and link up! I've got lots in store! (aka: meet-ups starting in February)

And…because I love you all and want you to have an extra happy new year! I'm giving away this 5x7 cupcake photograph by Utah's own Little Starling Photography to one lucky Cupcake Takes The Cake reader.
EXTRA HAPPY YEAR

Here's the deets:

• Leave a comment below with 2009 wishes to the CTTC team and your New Years resolution, cupcake style, of course.
• Include your blog link and/or email so I can contact you if you win
• Enter before January 1 at midnight EST
• I'll announce the winner (chosen at random) on Utah Loves Cupcakes Friday morning.

Happy New Year!

Comments

Danelle said…
ITS TRUE! I'm from UTAH! and I LOVE cupcakes!!!!!! Cute post! :)
Sufoot said…
I was born in Utah! I went to school in Utah! I have links to both your blogs on MY blog, Becky! I totally live a few blocks away from your sister, Erika!

Ok...CTTC Girls...have the Happiest of Happy Cupcake New Year's! May 2009 be filled with new and exciting cupcake flavors for you all!

MY cupcake-filled New Year's goal...figure out a way to continue to sell my cupcakes LEGALLY (i.e. NOT out of my home) and make millions at it.

Happy New Year's all my fellow cupcake lovers!!!
AW said…
I'm a Texas transplant from Hawaii. I had to fly over Utah to get here...does that count? :-D

Happy New Year ladies! Hope your year is fun, wonderful and full of new flavors and lots of buttercream!

My cupcake resolution is to learn to bake gluten-free cupcakes without a mix. CTTC inspires me every day, even though I couldn't eat the majority of what's shown. So I'm attempting to learn what I can in the gluten-free arena. One of these days...
Becca said…
I can't believe I never knew about Utah Loves Cupcakes! I'm a Utahn and a cupcake lover, so I'm so excited to hear about this and all the places to get my cupcake fix!

My wishes for the CTTC team:
Have a very happy New Year, and may all your cupcakes be sweet.
My resolution:
To try using fondant sometime.
My blog link: http://bakingbecca.blogspot.com/

Happy New Year, everyone!
Cakespy said…
That's it, forget Seattle. I can see where the next big cupcake thing is happening! :-)
mia said…
Wishing you all the Cupcakiest New Year ever!!

My cupcake goal for the new year is to bless my family and co-workers with frequent cupcake treats!

Happy New Year everyone!
Bethany said…
YUM!!! yes please! becky, you never cease to amaze me!
Happy New Year CTTC! Hope 2009 is filled with many sweets!

2009 resolution...For Lily's first birthday her cake is going to be a giant cupcake. I found the pattern on the internet. It is 8 Layers of round cakes!!
Anonymous said…
Happy New Year CTTC Team. You all do an amazing job keeping all of us bloggers yearning for the cupcakies. Keep up the great work through 2009!

I wish I could go to Utah to sample the deliciousness awaiting in each of the cupcake shops. I know it would be the best foodie road trip.

More importantly my GOAL for 2009 is to bake a different flavored cupcake each week. I plan to bake 52 different recipes. I have amassed a huge collection of recipes and I now plan to bake what I have collected. 2009 is the year to try them out.

And to all a Happy New Year!
ali said…
That was an amazing and in depth account of Utah Cupcakes, thanks Becky, now I know where to go!

Have a wonderful New Year CTTC, thanks for a great blog!

My new years cupcake resolution is to make a filled cupcake from scratch... wish me luck!
Anonymous said…
Happy New Year CTTC team. You all do an amazing job. Thanks!
Reading all about the cupcakeries in Utah makes me want to plan a road trip to visit each shop. It was a wonderful read.
My cupcake goal is to make a different batch each week. I have been collecting recipes for a few years now and it is time I made them. All in all I hope to have tried 52 different recipes in 2009. I know I could make this a keeper mainly because I have willing recipients:)
mia said…
don't know what happened to yesterday's post, but i'll try again! happy new year to all cupcake lovers! my cupcake resolutions include baking more cupcakes to gift to my co-workers and family, to branch out and try new flavor combos and maybe take a cake decorating course. cupcakes rock!!
Anonymous said…
I'm from Utah and love cupcakes too! I recently had So Cupcake do my wedding back in Utah and it was lovely and most importantly...delicious! I had to choose 8 flavors because I coudln't narrow it down. :)
My NY resolution is to find a nice balance between my cupcake sweet tooth and love of baking and staying fit - not easy to do!
I love your post as Utah has alot of great companies that will get great recognition here - and the CTTC site and the creativity they post is just amazing and inspiring. Keep the good stuff coming both of you! :)