Baked by Melissa = totally delicious!

We will have more coverage and an interview soon, but I just wanted to do a quick post saying how much I adore the mini cupcakes from NYC custom cupcake company Baked by Melissa. Owner Melissa Bushnell is only 25, and after getting laid off last year, turned her passion for cupcakes into a business.

The minimum order is 100 cupcakes, which retail for 90 cents each (plus a $5 delivery charge; she delivers in Manhattan). She said that over 6 weeks of selling at holiday markets in three city parks, she estimates she sold 45,000 cupcakes!

They come in a pizza box - these were a smaller selection, but she has a special box that holds 100 of them too:

Baked by Melissa mini cupcakes in a pizza box!

Now, when I say mini, these are mini mini. I've never seen smaller cupcakes, but they couldn't be more delightful. You can really taste the flavors, even in this minute form. I really loved the chocolate peanut butter. And the s'mores. And the peanut butter and jelly...

photo.jpg

She gifted this blog with some of her mini delights, including 6 of her 7 flavors (there were no red velvet). I tried: Cookie Dough, Peanut Butter Cup, S'Mores, Tie-Dye, Cookies N Cream, Peanut Butter & Jelly and a special one she's making for Valentine's Day, which is chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and pink and red sugar crystals on top.

Melissa Bushell from Baked by Melissa

The inside of the tie-dye cupcake:

photo.jpg

Inside the s'mores cupcake:

photo.jpg

I both loved the cupcakes, even though I limited myself to one of each (okay, two for the peanut butter cup) so I could share the rest, and also loved Melissa's drive and passion. She has limited her flavors at the moment because she is busy with orders and has plans to expand in the future. You'll hear more about her plans in our interview with her next week, but I can see these for parties or corporate events.

Baked by Melissa (order online)
orders at bakedbymelissa.net
212-842-0220

Comments

Anonymous said…
Such pretty cupcakes...yum! Can't wait to try them...

Momgateway.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
Melissa has come up with a really great concept and don't let the size fool you. These mini are big on taste!
apparentlyjessy said…
I love the rainbow ones, so cute! Oh, and I wouldn't be able to stop at just one peanut butter cup either ;)
Anonymous said…
I have had the cupcakes on 2 occasions and both times i was blown away. It's too bad that you didn't get to try the red velvet, because those are my favorite. The next time i am hosting a function the first call i make will be to baked by melissa.

- Marfa from LI
Rachel Abramson said…
I have tried these cupcakes numerous times, and they are nothing short of excellent/incredible! Anyone/everyone I have given them to cannot believe the creativity and deliciousness that goes into each and every flavored cupcake.