Cupcakes Take the Cake does Spoon's Brunch: Opening weekend!

As foodies who have ever eaten Melissa Chmelar's farm-fresh comestibles can attest, Spoon and tbsp. make yummy lunches.

Spoon/tbsp.

Here's owner Melissa standing by her pantry of takeaway items. I recommend the lemon curd if you can get it! (It was, disappointingly, sold out when I was there.)


Anyway, can you imagine how excited we three were when she invited us to her opening weekend brunch service? Well, you don't have to imagine because I will tell you: we were ecstatic. Personally, I love Spoon's food as much for their use of sustainable permaculture, farm-to-table and organic goods, as for the yumminess.

First up, when we walked in, we spotted the cupcakes:

Spoon/tbsp.

For what good is brunch without cupcakes?? That buttermilk cupcakes with brown-sugar frosting was so good I wasn't sure I'd have room for the "real" food. Served with a cup of Stumptown Direct-Trade coffee:

Spoon/tbsp.


Spoon/tbsp.


Spoon/tbsp.



Our friend Paige had the most delectable-looking tea:

Spoon/tbsp.

I love when teas come wrapped in cloth.


Okay, on to the food!

The menu is edited well, with eight standouts offered. Paige had the Best-ever Granola and Homemade Yogurt:

Spoon/tbsp.

She graciously shared some with me and it was scrumptious. I love the honey-topped yogurt presentation and the berries were so fresh and delicious.


Nichelle had the Breakfast Pizza:

Spoon/tbsp.

Which had pan tomat, Manchego cheese, 2 poached eggs, double-smoked bacon and pico de gallo and winter greens. All served in a skillet.


Rachel had the Baked Eggs:

Spoon/tbsp.



and I had the Brook Trout and Grits:

Spoon/tbsp.

I'm a Southerner, and I know grits, so I was shocked to find that Melissa's grit cakes were a revelation. Made with Gorgonzola cheese and cream, they are rich and unctuous. I could have eaten a whole plate of them, but Melissa assured me a belly-ache would follow. (Might have been worth it...)

The menu also includes a couple versions of pancakes (chocolate, buttermilk) and a bagel and lox combo that looks like a traditional NYC brunch meal. Spoon's staff will work with you if you have substitutions, like, egg whites only, or, if like me, you don't eat meat, they'll make a pork-free plate for you. (Spoon's menu is pork-laden.)


Did this intrepid eater come up with any scoops? Sure! Soon to be added to the menu (shh!) a grass-fed burger. Also, cooking classes (which I'll be first (well, second after Paige) in line for). Also possible, a Thursday night prix fixe supper.

I left with a gift from the folks at Spoon:

Spoon/tbsp.

SO good! I got it, ostensibly, to make cupcakes, but I ate it all. I couldn't help myself! This stuff should come with a warning.

You can see all the images from our brunch here; all images by Stacie Joy.


Spoon/tbsp.
17 West 20th Street
NYC
646.230.7000

Tell them Cupcakes Take the Cake sent you!


Comments

ingebjorg said…
bring your food to me :-)
Ohhhhhh We are soooooo going to visit!!!! Fabbb!!!

Thanks so much for posting this!!
xoxo Jenny Holiday
Jersey Shore