Win a copy of Babycakes by Erin McKenna!

To celebrate our new redesign, and just because you deserve it, we're having another contest. This time, you can win a copy of BabyCakes NYC owner Erin McKenna's cookbook BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery. It has these cupcake and frosting recipes (plus a written testimonial from Pamela Anderson): Vanilla cupcakes, Chocolate cupcakes, Healthy Hostess cupcakes, Vanilla frosting/vanilla sauce, Chocolate frosting/chocolate sauce, Red velvet cupcakes, Carrot cupcakes, and Meyer lemon + bing cherry cupcakes!

It also has tips on how to color frosting naturally (things like blueberry juice and beet juice) and instructions on how to frost a cupcake.

McKenna writes at the start of the cupcake section:

Did you turn to this page directly after scanning the table of contents? After browsing through the photos, did the frosting become a minor obsession? We're not so different you and I. In your place, I'd probably do the same thing.

Originally, I'd hoped to make a cupcake I could be proud of, something that people who tragically were forced to go without could indulge in. But the Great Cupcake Craze of 2006 was just dawning, and in a marketplace filled with sensible Easy Spirit pump-like confectionss, BabyCakes NYC quickly become the field's Christian Louboutin.


Check out the book to read the rest, and find out how to incorporate things like garbanzo-fava bean flower, applesauce, and agave nectar into your cupcake recipes.



You can watch the book trailer here and get the carrot cake recipe here.

To enter, leave a comment telling us why you want to win this book AND leave your email address or a URL with your email address so we can contact you if you win. Please note that our comments are moderated, so give us 24 hours to approve your comment. If you do not see it by then, please email us at cupcakestakethecake at gmail.com

You MUST enter by leaving a comment on this post. Entries sent via email will not be accepted. Winner will be chosen randomly. U.S. addresses only.

One entry per person. All entries must be received by Friday, July 10th at 5 pm EST.

Good luck!

Here are some of my photos from the Babycakes book release party:

BabyCakes NYC founder Erin McKenna

BabyCakes book party!

mini cupcakes at BabyCakes NYC book party
BabyCakes NYC owner and Babycakes author Erin McKenna

Comments

Jennifer said…
I've always wanted to dive into the world of vegan cupcakes, this would be the perfect start!
Amanda P in Texas said…
One of my closest friends introduced me to the wonders of NY cupcakes a few years ago, a revelation that opened my culinary world. Since she has been diagnosed with celiac, Babycakes has been a haven for delicious gluten free cupcakes. I want to learn to make everything in this book, so I can persude my friend to visit and have a cupcake party with me. I miss her! It's been too long. -Amanda P amajan@gmail.com
What a great book! I would love to win this because I have just recently gotten into baking. My favorite things to make so far have been cupcakes! This sounds like a great resource on making cupcakes more available to everyone!

summer.andrus@gmail.com
It is a total no brainer why I would want this book. It looks DELICIOUS! Thanks for the oppurtunity to win.
I would love to win this book! I would love healthier cupcake recipes for me and my family. I am especially interested in the section on using natural die colors in your frosting... Please pick me! ( ;
Winnie Bruce said…
baking has always been my passion and I've gone out of my way to experiment here and there but I've always had issues trying to figure out how I'm gonna make my baking more diverse when it comes especially to sugar free. My dad found out 2 years ago that he has diabetes which has basically halted my need to bake sweets for him because he couldn't enjoy them as much as he used to before. The last time I made tiramisu cupcakes (about a month ago), his sugar rose up after just 2 bites. His birthday is coming this November and this cookbook will really be helpful to help me out on finding a great recipe my dad will enjoy for his 63rd birthday. He'll be going back to the Philippines for retirement in 3 years so I really want to take advantage of the time he's here in the States to bake goods for him in which he can take more than just 2 bites of without having to worry about what his blood sugar is within 5 minutes of the bites.

Thanks so much =).

xoxo, Winnie

email: winniembruce@yahoo.com
Queen Of Hearts said…
I think I should win is because my brother & I love cupcakes but the box cupcakes have waaaay too much processing in it. My brother is also on a low sodium diet and I wanted to find more healthy way for him (and me too!) to enjoy sweets without all the additives. The one recipe I do know that I have done many variations of is poundcake from scratch. semorakismet1213@gmail.com
lauren said…
I would love this book because my mom has to eat gluten-free. I bake for her from a mix sometimes but I never try cakes from scratch. I usually fall back on cheesecake so I'd love to expand my repertoire!
kendahl a. said…
Ohhh, pick me! I desperately need a new cookbook based solely on cupcakes. :)
The Fancy Lady said…
Id love to win this book, i started a cupcake baking business last year and i only know a few vegan recipes that actually taste good id love to expand my horizons and try and offer new things to my clients .Thank you
email is thefancyladycupcakes@yahoo.com
Megan said…
I want this cookbook because I am STILL trying to loose baby weight! My family and I will never NOT want cupcakes so mayne this cookbook will help me get my family hooked on a healthy alternative. SoOoo PICK ME PICK ME!
Nicole said…
This book looks so exciting! I check you blog daily for cupcake inspiration and I would love to get into a more healthy cupcake. I bake cupcakes religiously but don't always love how much sugar and junk can go in them. We've been trying to be a healthier family since my mom passed away from environmental lung cancer and this would be a fantastic way to help!
AK said…
I've heard so many good things about the recipes in this book! I would LOVE to have it!
Barbara said…
My nephew now needs to eat gluten-free, so this would be a great book. I would love to be able to make great tasting desserts that everyone can enjoy, including my nephew.
Sharon said…
I would love to win this book for 3 reasons.

1) Because I am stuck in Southern CA and can't frequent Babycakes.

2) Because Erin McKenna Rocks! Seriously, she is pure genius!

3) Well...refer back to 1
Kristen said…
I have an Aunt with celiac disease and I'm constantly on the lookout for dessert and treats to make for her! This would bring some diversity to my cookbook collection, further my baking experimentations and allow me to help my Aunt!
Lea said…
I would love to win a vegan cupcake book! I just started trying out vegan cooking and to do vegan baking would be great! I love Erin McKenna!
Sara Aimee said…
I can't wait to start making vegan cupcakes. I'd love to win the book because I love to bake but don't support using animal products. Now that Trader Joe's carries agave nectar I'm even more excited. Can't wait to see the cookbook!
Anonymous said…
What a great book! I'd like to win this book, simply because I LOVE baking cupcakes of all sorts. Also, being the mother of a cupcake loving toddler, I'd like to learn more vegan, and healthy approaches to baking cupcakes.. Thanks!

shauna

evedra@gmail.com
Hunnybee said…
I would love this book, because at my son's preschool we have dairy, gluten allergies (among others) and this would ensure great treats for ALL the kids.

Jessica
hunnybee_00@hotmail.com
Meagan said…
I love the blog! I was so excited to see you would be giving away a copy of babycakes! I am a huge cupcake fan and would love to add this to my library so I can learn more about the recipes and icing. I have been more involved with the decorating of cupcakes and would love to be able to make the cupcakes taste as good as they look!!!

here is a post about some of the cupcakes I've decorated!
http://meagandesha.blogspot.com/2009/02/spring-time-give-away.html

Meagan - meagan.d.wilson@gmail.com
Anonymous said…
I am starting a cupcake business and I really really want to do good Vegan and Gluten free cupcakes! I would LOVE to have this book to give me ideas. The cupcakes are just beautiful and I'm sure they are delicious too. maryallstead@yahoo.com
Anonymous said…
I am always looking for vegan and good tasting sugar free cakes. Many friends and their children have conditions requiring special diets. Since I am always asked to bring the cupcakes, I try hard to include them so they will not miss out on the Sweetness of Life.
Cindy sweetcscupcakery@gmail.com
i want to win this sooooo badly because i don't own a cupcake cookbook to date! i need somewhere to start, and making delicious vegan cupcakes would be a great way to do just that:)!

whitneyannmay@gmail.com
LRH said…
First, it's cupcakes and why wouldn't I want a book about cupcakes especially from NY! I would love to win!
LRH said…
It's cupcakes from NY, is there any other reason??
Megan said…
I have a friend with a gluten allergy that loves to go bakery hopping with me (hey, he's Mormon and can't really bar hop). I'd love that cookbook so I can make him something special for all the times he's said "Oh hey, here's a cupcake sampler platter from the new bakery down the street. Your pick, take whichever you want."
meghan said…
Super cute new layout!
I want to win this book because I am an ex-vegan, current vegetarian who still eats vegan a lot, and because I care about what goes into my body! I would love to be able to cook better cupcakes rather than using a box mix everytime, and this book can help me do that!

meghan.galewski AT gmail DOT com
Jamieanne said…
I have quite a few friends who can't have dairy, or are gluten-free, but I want to share my cupcakes with them! This book would be great for me to use to bake for them!

seanik at gmail dot com
Terry said…
i want to use the book to make cupcakes for my new vegan neighbors!
<3
cleung341 said…
I love to bake and the reason why I want to win this book is because I would love to try a different way to bake my cupcakes. I love using different products for substitutions. I'm sure the book will teach me a thing or two.
Anonymous said…
My sister is allergic to Gluten and she LOVES cupcakes! I'm always searching for recipes I can bake for her. I would love this book so I can have more options of things to bake for her!
Lisa Smiley said…
I would love to win this book because I have been wanting to choose alternative sweets recipes. Many of my friends have various food allergies/issues and have been asking for sugar free and gluten free products. Thanks for having this!
Me please? I love cupcakes and have tracked down many of the vegan cupcake shops on the east coast, but have somehow never made it to Babycakes! Let me bring it to my kitchen instead?

arieldiliberto@gmail.com
Unknown said…
I've never really been a fan of vegan cupcakes but since the ones from Babycakes get such rave reviews, I'd love to try them.
Christina said…
I have never made vegan anything before and would love to start with cupcakes!

csteinagel@hotmail.com
Anonymous said…
Oh another cupcake book!! I'd love to add this to my collection of cupcakes books! Eek!

ljcadv@yahoo.com
rudie2shoes said…
I would love to win so I can learn to make cupcakes with less sugar. I'm not into the super sweet cupcakes.
Unknown said…
i love all cupcake recipes and would love to find a new way to bake that is better for my body!

sarahw5484@gmail.com
caronae said…
I want the book so that I can make my mom's kitchen even messier!
cmh2147 [@] columbia [dot] edu
Miri said…
Because there's no way of getting a decent vegan cupcakebook in bookstores in Germany and I'd love to learn baking vegan treats...

teufelmiri @ hotmail.com
HLEure said…
This book looks fabulous. I'd love to have it for many reasons, but mostly because I babysit for little girls in a family where some of the members are gluten-free. I'd love to be able to bake something delicious for them and perhaps have the girls help me decorate some beautiful cupcakes!

hlatiolais at gmail dot com
Em said…
I am a gluten free vegan and I LOVE to bake - especially sweets. I would definitely use this book to great advantage!
Unknown said…
this looks like a great book! i would love to win a copy so that i can bake some delicious vegan treats for my family!
Oh goodness this book looks lovely! I'm a vegan with a gluten intolerance, which can make things very hard when trying to find sweets to nom nom nom upon!!!
-Tawni
tawni@mad.scientist.com
Unknown said…
All I can think about this week is CUPCAKES! Monday especially! I have been waiting for the weekend to whip up some little pieces of heaven. Finally a book about vegan, gluten free cupcakes... YAY! I can't wait to go to Babycakes on my next trip to NYC. I would love this book! It would make getting through the day a little sweeter. Thanks!

sandiwilley@gmail.com
Heather Ash said…
I have a handicapped daughter that has sensitivities to food dyes. I also am trying to get refined sugars out of our diet. We have tweaked some recipes to use agave nectar, but for once it would be nice to make a tried and true recipe using "alternative" ingredients. It would sure make my "flop" rate go down ;-)
heatherash1@msn.com
mckygrl said…
I'm very excited about the chance to win this book. I get a lot of requests to bake for friends at work and several have dietary restrictions and this book would give some great ideas.
Renee G said…
I love to bake and my niece and nephew were both recently diagnosed with celiacs. I'd love to try the gluten-free recipes just for them.

rsgrandinetti@yahoo.com
Jen and TJ said…
I would love to explore with these recipes. One of my best friends has her daughter on a gluten free diet. What a great idea as a treat for our kids playdates!!!
Jen
jjicha@bellsouth.net
Anonymous said…
i have celiac and love anything gluten free!
amy fenster brown
newschick99@hotmail.com
Ady Grafovna said…
Sugar-free cupcakes that are cute AND taste good! Count me in! I don't have a dietary reason like many of your other commenters do, but my birthday is the 27th and I would really enjoy winning this book. :)

ady.simmons@gmail.com
Sara said…
I would love to be able to combine the word healthy and cupcakes in the same sentence when I tell people what I made.
saradavis1 at gmail
Laure said…
I am a vegan and I also suffer from a sensitivity to gluten which is why this book was made for me. The first time I heard about it I was ecstatic and was planning on buying it but the recession has hit me hard and I really had to cut down on the extras. That's why I'd love to win the book. Thanks so much for having this giveaway.
Email: laure998@hotmail.com
jltaylor215 said…
I frequently bring cupcakes to my office to share, and two people have Celiac disease. I would love some good recipes so that when I bring some cupcakes for them (which I always do in addition to the regular ones for everyone else), I don't have to use the boxed mixes.
lildred said…
I collect cookbooks and like to offer (mostly) sugar free cakes to my family. I would love to see what this book has to offer. lildred1@verizon.net
Alyssum said…
My best friend just became vegan and we are both avid bakers. I want to be able to make vegan cupcakes for her, and share the book with her so she can expand her vegan baking skills.
Anonymous said…
I would love a copy of babycakes because I too have food allergies like erin and it would really be a helpful book for me to be able to enjoy bake goods.
Peg A said…
I love the idea of using natural food-based dyes for frosting coloring! I will have to try that.
CookieDiarires said…
I would love to have this book as my sister "does not like cake". Who doesn't like cake?! Maybe she will like cake using a recipe from this fabulous book.
Melisser said…
Before going vegan, Babycakes NYC was one of my 1st vegan cupcake experiences. At the time, I had no clue many items are gluten free & now I find myself vegan & looking do to gluten free baking for my many friends with gluten allergies. It would be great to have this book!
The Como Family said…
I am always looking for a new book about cupcakes. I would love to have a copy of this book!
mckygrl said…
I would love to win a copy of this book. I do a lot of baking for people I work with who have different dietary needs. This book would be a great resource.
Jan said…
these are the best cupcakes ever! I'm obsessed with baking cupcakes and would love to win this book... ok my family would love it too! YUM!
Jan said…
I just forgot to leave my email... oops!
jansanderson@sisna.com
Maybe said…
This year, I prepared a really hard exam, I was under a lot of stress so my therapy was baking cupcakes ! Thanks to that I was cool again because I'm a French in love with american sweets :o) Now I want to bake heathier cupcakes and this book seems just perfect to start !
Bonnie said…
I hope I am lucky enough to win!

BonnieSloo@aol.com
Katis Kupcakes said…
I'd love the opportunity to bake with this book--sounds so unique and filled with great alternatives to the traditional cupcake. sounds amazing!! Kati of Kati's Kupcakes, NJ email: fangelini@verizon.net
Unknown said…
I've been considering adopting a new way of eating. I like all of the ideas behind vegan cooking but I love sweets and will find it very hard to give them up. I would love to have this book so that I wouldn't have to give up goodness for good food!
hilaryrenee04@yahoo.com
Lynda said…
I would so love to have this book! I love to make cupcakes and would be really excited to be able to make a healthy cupcake for my friends and family!

lyndamcmillen@yahoo.com
julie said…
I would LOVE a copy of this book. It's so hard to bake with no dairy.
Jelli said…
I'd love to win this book not only to try all the recipes, but to give my one and only cookbook a buddy. He gets lonely sometimes. fairyjuliet@hotmail.com
Chasity said…
I'd love to win this book so I can try some of the recipes! I've heard vegan cupcakes are very moist and tasty compare to what you might think!

chasitywho@aim.com
Misti said…
The pinkest person i know proved to me that vegan cakes can actually be tasty and in her honour i want to have a bash at making vegan cupcakes of my own. I would call the faery cakes and decorate them with fairies and toadstools and glitter.

Misti - the_vampyre_storm@hotmail.com
Cara said…
I would love to win this book because I bake vegan cupcakes all the time & would love some new recipes to add to my repertoire. I have heard great things about this bakery.
SW in STL said…
healthful+delicious=sweet relief! vegan things don't need to taste like (or look like) bland heaps of mash. and here, at last, is proof!
SW, St. Louis
puuhonu@yahoo.com
Zim said…
I have a handful of friends and relatives with allergies and sensitivities. It would be wonderful to make them treats!
(July 10th is my b-day so it would be a treat for me, too!)

thank you for your great blog,
Zim,
zimmz67@yahoo.com
Anonymous said…
i've just been diagnosed as coeliac and i live in Sydney, Australia. I have never tasted Babycakes and am feeling VERY VERY deprived. Winning this book will save my life.

-Susan
scuzy@hotmail.com
Amy said…
Hi,
I'd like to win this book b/c I'd really like to try the Healthy Hostess cupcake. I also love trying new recipes and finding new ingredients to incorporate into my cupcakes!
Please contact me via email: amyscupcakes@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Amy
Anonymous said…
This book truly seems like a must-have!! I love to bake for everyone for just about everything, and not to mention almost everyone in my immediate family has diabetes! I would looove to win this book so that my family could actually enjoy and indulge in the delicious tastes from heaven I could bake from it! c:

fieryh0tt@aol.com
simplywonderful said…
Wow, I would love to win this book! I'm a person whose been loving to bake ever since I was a kid. My first choice was CUPCAKES! And, what could be better than winning this book? :)
Preppy from Bay said…
I'm a follower of your blog, a blogger myself (preppyfrombay)and have a huge obsession with cupcakes. I've been making cupcakes for quite some time and attempted to build a small business making cupcakes. My business name is/was "sweetest taboo cupcakes" I'm a fan of Sade hence the name. I'm also a step mother to a son who has celiac disease and always looking for great gluten free recipes. I subscribe to GOOP and saw this article as well. I would so love to get this book and creat some great cupcakes for my step-son. I've been making gluten free cakes for him for about 4 yrs! I made one cake in the shape of a OSU football jersey with the no. 9, age 10 I made a football shaped cake. Last year I made cupcakes. Love her recipes. I even went out this evening to purchase coconut oil, organic agave nectar. I have a lot of Bob's ingredients that she mentioned. We make pancakes with his stuff! Love your website. And love the cupcakes that you feature.