Zoo cupcakes

Our friend Addie Broyles, who I didn't get to see on this Austin trip, wrote about these zoo cupcakes she made with her 3-year-old son for Relish Austin:

This week, we made cupcakes together (and by together, I mean I made them while he sat in at the kitchen counter trying to get the wrapper off the sprinkles) and instead of leaving the whole batch at the house, which would mean a daily battle over how many he should get to eat, I dolled out one to each of us and then I brought the rest to share with my co-workers.



Pretty cute, huh?

I wish I could take total credit for baking these bad boys from scratch, including the icing, but I had the help of a few new products from Duff Goldman, the guy behind the Food Network’s “Ace of Cakes.” (I don’t usually write about national products like this, especially $9 cake mixes or $24 fondant, but the cupcakes turned out pretty moist and delicious and I wouldn’t have been able to put them together in less than 15 minutes without the assistance of pre-made fondant.)

Comments

Addie Broyles said…
Hey, Rachel! Thanks for sharing the zoo cupcakes. My first appearance on Cupcakes Take the Cake!

Funny thing: I didn't realize fondant scared people so much. I was practically having to throw these cupcakes at people to get them to try one.