Cupcake Baker of the Week: Karen Salinas McQuarrie


Quick question: What's sweeter, that bouquet of flowers, or the cupcake baker proudly holding her creation?

Imagine shifting from the hustle and bustle of a noisy city of millions, to the almost eerie tranquility of small town life. That's exactly what set Karen Salinas McQuairre on her path to creating cupcakes when she moved from a large metropolitan city to one with a total population of 65. Even as she drives 50, 60, or over 100 miles to the nearest farmer's market to sell her cupcakes, her enthusiasm and dedication are admirable.

Read more about her story, learn why not to wear heels during a cupcake delivery, and see a picture of her gorgeous cupcake bouquets below.

Name: Karen Salinas McQuarrie
Location: Minburn, Alberta, Canada
Website: www.karenscakeinacup.vpweb.ca
www.karens-cakeinacup.blogspot.com

1. How did you get into cupcake baking? 
After moving to a rural town of only 65 residents, I had to find something to do to keep me sane! Father’s Day last year was when I made my first decorated, from scratch cupcakes. It gave me a huge sense of accomplishment and a sense of pride, I started selling them at farmers’ markets shortly after.

2. Do you have a signature cupcake?
Last Christmas, I made Nanaimo Bar cupcakes (very Canadian!) Dulce de Leche- Mango cupcakes and Baklava cupcakes are very popular too. Oh, and my cupcake bouquets!

3. What kind of cupcake do you plan to bake next? 
I have this huge obsession with avocados right now so I’m thinking avocado cupcakes with a milky, custardy filling and a white chocolate frosting.

4. Where do you find inspiration?
Why, Cupcakes take the Cake of course! Also, when I go grocery shopping and find desserts or treats that I like or find interesting, I think of ways to turn it into cupcakes. It can be tricky sometimes as all my cupcakes have fillings and special toppings.

5. Describe a memorable (funny/disastrous/life-changing) cupcake baking moment you've had. 
It was Mother’s Day and I had dozens of orders for cupcake bouquets. It took me all day and all night to bake, decorate and arrange them. It was a relief once they were all done. As I was walking to the car to take the bouquet deliveries, I tripped and one bouquet landed face down on the ground. It was a very good thing I made extras!

6. Give one piece of cupcake advice for other bakers out there. 
Do not wear wedge heels when making cupcake deliveries. I learned that the hard way! = )

Indeed, it'd be a shame to let these beauties get ruined:

Thanks, Karen! Stay tuned for next week's Cupcake Baker of the Week. Leave us questions, feedback, and suggestions in the comments below. If you would like to nominate someone to be featured, e-mail us at cupcakestakethecake@gmail.com with "Hey Melissa! Check out this Cupcake Baker!" in the subject title.

Comments

Madame Patti-Kake's said…
Can we nominate ourselves? ;-)