Duncan Hines Cupcake Challenge winner

Lo Lankford at Lemondrop attended the Duncan Hines Cupcake Challenge and this was her take on the cupcake competition (she's got much more about the event too):

The cupcakes were definitely all good creations and favorites were probably manifested from pre-established likes and dislikes. The winner of the morning was a red velvet cupcake called "Red Carpet Glamour," which wasn't my personal favorite (it was the smallest cupcake on my plate and oozed chocolate once you bit into it -- I've never been one for surprises). But I respect the judges' choice, which seemed to be made specifically because of the baker's use of raspberry in the batter and the nice and frothy vanilla bean frosting. It's definitely a beautiful cupcake (pictured above), and the adorable winner, Katie Rousonelos, was thrilled to be chosen. She told us over Skype that she's never even entered any kind of baking contest before.

Honestly, I was predisposed to not like a few of the creations as much. I don't like coconut, piña colada or tiramisu much, and so those were kinda working against me. Not that any innocent bystander would have been able to tell this. My absolute two favorites were the Blackberry Champagne and the Devilly Good Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle. The peanut butter is no surprise - I'd eat anything with peanut butter on it, but I actually am surprised that I chose something with fruit as a fave. Must have been that champagne ingredient. Hmm.



Winner "Red Carpet Glamour" cupcake by Katie Rousonelos - click for recipe


Devilly Good Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Cupcakes by Teri Blevins - click for recipe

Comments