Cupcake review: vegan gluten-free strawberry chocolate cupcake at Tu-lu's Gluten Free Bakery in New York

Last night I stopped by Tu-lu's Gluten Free Bakery in Manhattan's East Village. They had an assortment of their usual gluten-free baked goods, including 6 kinds of mini cupcakes and several larger ones, some of which were vegan and some of which were dairy-free. I chose a vegan gluten-free strawberry chocolate cupcake, which came to $3.21 with tax.

It looked like this:



It had a lot of frosting, too much for my taste, especially because it was very rich. The strawberry tasted like strawberry ice cream to me. The texture of the frosting was very thick and dense, but the taste was like strawberries and cream, if that makes sense. The cake was wonderful; dense and rich and sweet and chocolatey. It was a little crumbly, but not too much so, and it worked well with the strawberry frosting, of which I ate maybe 1/10th of what was there, because there was so much.

I liked the added touch of sprinkles on top for a little bit of crunch. I'd definitely recommend this to people, vegan or not, and I also like their regular gluten-free cupcakes I've tried, though those are a little less dense and the frosting creamier.

Comments