Review: peanut butter and jelly filled cupcake to make you feel like a kid again

I was taking a walk yesterday and stopped in at Empire Cake in Chelsea (Manhattan), lured in by the sign outside touting peanut butter and jelly cupcakes. On the top, there's only a small round dollop of jelly, but inside there's a lot, which is just the way I like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or cupcake. The frosting was actually very light and whipped and didn't taste as strongly of peanut butter as I would have suspected. The jelly was, I think, grape jelly, and that was thicker and I wound up scooping most of it out with a knife and pairing it with small amounts of cake and peanut butter frosting. A deconstructed cupcake is still a cupcake, right? I wish the frosting had been a bit stronger tasting, but other than that, this cupcake was definitely worth it.



Comments

Debra Kapellakis said…
a dozen or so, PLEASE!