A cupcake interview from the UK

And we are always looking for cupcake interviewees...email us at cupcakestakethecake (@) yahoo.com

Name: Emily Fuller
Age: 23
Location: London, England
Occupation: Researcher/Cataloguer for a film education company

How often do you eat cupcakes?

I tend to bake a batch a week, but they mainly get eaten by my boyfriend and my work colleagues. I might have one a fortnight or so.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

Their cuteness! And there's much less guilt than eating a slice of a big cake. They're like toys.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

The favourite ones that I make are lemon cake with lemon icing and a mini candy lemon slice on top. It's all about the lemon!

What's your favorite place to get cupcakes?

Sadly, the UK hasn't caught up with the cupcake craze yet, as far as I can tell. We've only just got Krispy Kremes here! So I have to make them myself.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

As above. If I buy sweet stuff, I tend to buy cookies. I like them because they don't have a wrapper (one of the drawbacks of cupcakes), but they are nowhere near as good as cupcakes for cuteness.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

I would like to revive the Edwardian fashion of making cupcakes without cases, stacking two together and icing them in intricate patterns. They really were little works of art and quite a spectacular sight.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

Sorry, I've answered that one already! I do bake my own cupcakes, although my boyfriend had a go at frosting this weekend, and did a very good job. I am really the only one of my friends who is into cupcakes, and I think they have almost come to expect them from me at parties and social gatherings. That said, several of the girls do bake, so they might be tempted.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Gosh. I can't really remember. My Mum used to make fantastic birthday cakes, but I can't remember any cupcakes. So, it must be my re-discovery of cupcakes when I was at university, and trying not to do any work!

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

Hmmmm...Probably my recent experiment with edible coloured paper to make letters for the tops of cupcakes. Lots of cutting, sticking, and eating the failed ones.

How do cupcakes differ in the UK from the US?

Well, where do I start? In the first place, cupcakes are called fairy cakes in the UK. Presumably because they are small enough for fairies to eat (fairies were a major obsession in Victorian England). And secondly, we don't really go in for frosting. Most fairy cakes are made with glacé icing (made with water and icing sugar). That said, I have recently been experimenting with frosting since being on this blog. It gives cupcakes a much more authentic style, in my opinion, it just takes a lot longer to do!

Any other thoughts on the topic?

I think that’s pretty exhaustive, don’t you?!

Comments