Lisa Loeb takes our cupcake interview!

Our first celebrity cupcake interview...so exciting. Thanks so much to Lisa and her manager. I caught her performing at the show Sara Schaefer (Is Obsessed With You) and when she told Sara she's obsessed with food, I knew she'd be perfect for our interview. Yay!

Name: Lisa Loeb
Age: 37
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Occupation: songwriter/musician
URL: www.LisaLoeb.com

How often do you eat cupcakes?

As often as I can. Usually once every three weeks, although when I'm at a cupcake store, or a bakery, I usually get one of each kind to try. Cupcakes, like donuts, are to be eaten in bulk, with a little knife to take a piece of each one, then take seconds of favorites. The knife is also helpful in scraping off the extra icing. Sometimes I have to eat the extra icing after the fact. (Don't want to waste.)

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

Cupcakes look cute. The texture of the firm (hopefully not too soft/shortening) icing on top and the fluffy cake underneath. It's that combination of the texture and flavor. The worst part is when it's over, desperately scraping the dregs off of the wax paper cups with my teeth.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

My favorite. Ooh. That's so hard to say. I think white cake with chocolate icing. Not too much icing. Soft cake, almost as soft as the kind you make out of a box, but from scratch. Not as rough as the cupcakes from the Cupcake Cafe in NYC. More like the texture of Magnolia cake, without all of the icing. Sprinkles are also a great addition - the little multicolored tiny balls.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

I feel like I'm celebrating when I eat a cupcake, whereas with other baked goods (I eat a lot of pie, cake, cookies, brownies, although not as many "bar"- type desserts, crumbles, crisps, ice cream cakes, etc. ) I feel merely like I'm eating the special part of a meal.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

I'd like to see some kind of tool for regulating the amount of icing on top of the cupcake. I'm not sure if it's my tastebuds that have taken over, but I don't even thing cupcakes with too much icing look as cute as cupcakes with the right amount.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I bake my own cupcakes. I even have a mini cake-frosting knife and a collection of sprinkles and food dyes.

Do you have any special cupcake baking tips or hints?

Recently I realized that I could take leftover pancake batter - banana, gingerbread, oatmeal/gingerbread, blueberry, and pour it into cupcake pans to make cupcakes. That's exciting for a single person who likes cupcakes and pancakes. (They freeze well too, and you can ice them after they thaw.)

Do you have a signature cupcake that you bake?

I make a banana cupcake with orange/kumquat cream cheese icing.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Not the earliest, but one of my favorites is my 8th birthday party at the roller rink. My mother made her special cupcakes with faces on top and M&M eyes.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

Hmmm. That's a good question. It's inevitable. I always have fun with cupcakes. Maybe peeling the curly strip of white off of the top of a chocolate Hostess cupcake while watching Fat Albert after Sunday School when I was in 7th grade.

Have you ever (or would you ever) write a song about cupcakes?

Probably. I've included Cake and Pie in songs already- even naming one of my albums "Cake and Pie". My philosophy - if someone asks if you'd like cake or pie, you say, "Both." I could add cupcakes to that. Someone in my life, I can't remember who at the moment, calls me "cupcake." I think I could include that in a song.

Any other thoughts on the topic?

No time, I need to run out and get a cupcake.

Comments

K. Inez said…
Marvy!!

:D
Anonymous said…
hi. my name is kellallymoshawannawanna and i love cupcakes sooo much and i am so happy that i found this website! thanks mucho!
<3
Traci said…
I love Lisa Loeb! I met her in a restaurant in Dallas a couple months ago and she is just as stunning in person!

My other fave is cupcakes!!!
woof nanny said…
I like the pancake idea!