Cupcakes in literature: Tania Katan's My One-night Stand With Cancer


Tania Katan book cover
Originally uploaded by rkb1.
I'm reading Tania Katan's memoir My One-night Stand With Cancer, about her having breast cancer twice, at ages 21 and 30, and while that sounds totally depressing, she's quite hilarious (as well as moving). I was drawn to the book because of the cupcake on the cover, and here's the relevant passage (she's with her mom and has just found out she has cancer):

“I’m sorry. Hey, do you want a little treat to go with your mocha? I saw some fancy looking cupcakes up there.”
“Sure, thanks.” Mom hands me a five. I’m living large.
The cupcake is amazing: light golden brown and four inches in circumference, and when I lick the fluffy pink frosting, it licks me back.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As someone who frequents Quebrada (and lived only two blocks away until just a month ago), I must say that although I love the place (and their fantastic line of tiny treats), cupcakes are not their standout item. If you want an awesome cupcake, walk across the street to the Zaxaroplasteion Arlington Bakery. Cupcakes that barely fit in my Cup-A-Cake are sold for just 85 cents, and the counter is run by a sweet lady who will cover you when you're short on dough if you come in often enough. The cupcakes there are light and moist with smooth, creamy icing and just the perfect amount of sprinkles.
Anonymous said…
Oops, that was meant to go on the other post. Sorry!