Cupcake interview with Janet of A Planet Named Janet

Name: Janet Nelson
Age: Past "the New 30"
Location: Green Bay area, Wisconsin
Occupation: Artist
URL: http://www.aplanetnamedjanet.blogspot.com

How often do you eat cupcakes?

A couple times a year. I have to bake them myself as the only offerings for the most part in this area are some store bakery types -- that look like nothing but solid Crisco frosting.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

Because the cupcake trend has not come this way yet, eating a cupcake feels like it is my own little secret.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

Definitely a dark devils food with a powdered sugar frosting that is a little heavy on the butter, but not so much that the frosting can't dry a little on the outside and have a little crust to bite into.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

They are dessert -- a treat. Donuts are for breakfast -- tho I have eaten cupcakes at breakfast too. Hmmm, maybe I should say they are an all around food.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

I would like to see a consistency in size. The small cupcake liners do not fit well in my mini muffin baking pan.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

Yes, I bake my own cupcakes. We are somewhat cupcake deprived up here. Tho I did see that the coffee shop in the Barnes & Noble occasionally will have one -- usually a chocolate with chocolate frosting. I did make the chili chocolate mini cupcakes with ganauche frosting. I thought they were pretty good, tho I noticed the ancho chili for the added texture more so than the flavor.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Probably about second grade. We used to be able to bring treats to school on our birthdays and pass them around to everyone.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

My friend and I were on a business trip to Minneapolis last year. We took some time to look around and found Cupcake on University Ave. We knew we had to stop in. So we both had some mini cupcakes -- red velvet with cream cheese frosting and I think a chocolate one with a mocha frosting. We sat at the table at the window, eating our mini cupcakes, looking outside and feeling ever so trendy. It was heavenly. Two hicks from northeast Wisconsin connecting with the rest of the modern world. Couldn’t get any better.

Do you have anything else to add?

I check Cupcakes Take the Cake frequently. I love to see everyone's creations. This craze just amazes me. Been watching Sex & the City waiting for the cupcake episode. I really want to find out what started this whole thing.

Comments

Janets Planet said…
Thanks for posting my interview. I sent a link to your blog to my friend at the Jack Richeson Art Company and she ended up ordering some coffee from the Newton Coffee company link. I am invited to come try it out when it comes --- and naturally, should bring the cupcakes.
Raspil said…
Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

it's better to bake them yourself. it's EVEN better to have someone else clean up.