Cupcake bakery owner interview: Daniellan Louie of Ivy Bakery

Please go check out the incredible Ivy Bakery when you're done reading this interview - CUSTOM MADE CUPCAKES people! Seriously, they look fabulous and I'm getting a box of Ivy treats delivered to me next week so I will confirm the taste with you then. (Images courtesy Ivy Bakery)



Name: Daniellan Louie
Age: 22
Location: Manhattan
Occupation: Baker/Owner of Ivy Bakery
URL: www.ivybakery.com

Can you tell us more about Ivy Bakery and how you got started baking?

It all started with a friend of mine who had a sweet tooth and wanted me to bake him a batch of brownies. My first attempt at baking and well let's say they were not edible. :) But I was and still am a perfectionist and kept at it until I made them perfect and what is now known as my Double Chocolate Chip Brownies. After months of supplying him free brownies to feed his addiction I found myself out of cash and he suggested that I start selling my brownies. So I put together a basic website and started selling brownies and chocolate covered strawberries to my friends and family. 5 years later, lots of self taught baking and with a huge collection of recipes, I started Ivy Bakery. My real intention is to open a dessert lounge in Manhattan, however I ran into funding problems so I have yet to open a storefront. Regardless my customers can conveniently browse and order through IvyBakery.com. Orders are then made to their specifications and delivered to them.

What kinds of cupcakes do you offer, and which are most popular?

I offer an entire line of yummy cupcakes which includes Apple Spice, Banana, Boston Cream, Carrot, Coconut, Devil's Food, Gingerbread, Lemon, Red Velvet, Rich Chocolate, & Strawberry Shortcake. Along with the cupcakes I also have a huge selection of different frostings to choose from, including Maple Buttercream, which is my favorite. The most popular cupcakes are the Banana, Carrot, Red Velvet & Rich Chocolate.

How much advance notice do you need to whip up a batch of cupcakes?

For small orders I need 2-3 days notice. For large orders, at least a week or two in advance would be great.

What's the most unusual or outrageous request you've had for a cupcake order?

Hmm, the most unusual, you know what I haven't had an unusual request yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

We usually only talk strictly about cupcakes here, but I'm dying to know what's so special about your Double Chocolate Chip Brownies?

Ahh . . . what's so special about them, it's a secret! LOL but I have on more than several occasions been accused of putting crack in my brownies. But really it's just freshness and lots of love. Try them! I promise you'll become addicted... cough* I mean love them. :)

And now onto some personal questions . . .

How often do you eat cupcakes?

I eat cupcakes every time I make a batch . . . for quality check purposes, of course . . . of course. :)

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

The best thing about eating cupcakes, I would have to say is that first bite when you get a mix of the soft cake and the sweet creamy frosting.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

My favorite type of cupcake would have to be carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

Cupcakes are one of my favorites, they are definitely up there. I do have a weakness for pastries but there's nothing like a cute miniature cake to put a smile on my face.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

Hmm, now that I think about it, nope, the cupcake is perfect! :)

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

My first cupcake-related memory is baking cupcakes for my little cousins with that cake in a box stuff where you add oil and eggs. Yeah that was fun, till I learned to make it from scratch and went crazy with different flavors.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

The most fun I've ever had would have to be when I started testing cupcake flavors and had my friends try dozens of flavors in one sitting. And as they consumed each one they looked less and less friendly. I do find some pleasure in watching my friends devour over a dozen cupcakes until their stomachs turned. I'm not mean though, I'm very sweet. :)

Do you have anything else to add?

Check out Ivy Bakery at www.ivybakery.com. We specialize in custom sweets and even those on special diets such as sugar free, vegetarians, diabetics and so on. Everything is made fresh and to order then delivered to your door. So take a look at our 100+ item menu and give us a call! 347-598-3452 The cupcakes are waiting for you!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello, I am writing because I've ordered from Ivy Bakery before and it is truly blissful. I haven't had "home baked" goods in such a long time, that getting the brownies I ordered fresh and warm for my consumption was heavensent. Daniellan was also an absolute sweetheart. Thank you Daniellan your brownies made my long friday that much better (and my guests' as well).