Today's cupcake interview

Kris's cupcake sculpture:



Name: Kris Garland (I also go by Rakka or Rakkadeer)
Age: 32
Location: Seattle, WA
Occupation: artist
URL: http://glitterpissing.blogspot.com or www.rakkadeer.etsy.com

How often do you eat cupcakes?

As often as possible! But, sadly, that tends to be only about once a month. I need to do something about that!

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

Peeling off the wrapper! Oh, the anticipation!

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

My favorite bakery cupcake has to be the chocolate peppermint patty from Cupcake Royale in Seattle. The frosting is so minty! My favorite homemade cupcake would have to be guiness chocolate with cream cheese icing! They're very rich and dense! Heavenly!

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

There's no comparison. Cupcakes rule! They're extremely portable and that's very important to me especially when I'm running out the door with one in my hand.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

I wish they had the ability to clone themselves. Failing that, I don't really see the need for improvement.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

Yes! I bake my own cupcakes! Occasionally, I'll try to make them topical (I made a batch of "Crazy Delicious" cupcakes that used Mr. Pibb in the batter and Red Vines icing as an homage to "Lazy Sunday") or at least personalized. (like the Space Invader cupcakes for one friend that loves that particular game.) Sometimes I wish that someone would make them for me because I spend too much time baking cupcakes for others!

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Seeing a cupcake at a bakery when I was about four. The icing was taller than the cake and it had a clown head decoration. I was thrilled (icing! cake!) and terrified (clowns! *shiver*) at the same time.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

When I had to cut the tops off of a dozen of them. (It was part of a larger cake project.) The whole time I was sawing their little heads off I kept thinking about the Seinfeld muffin tops episode and it made me laugh!

When did you start doing cupcake drawings and sculptures, and how did you make the sculpture? What are you doing with it? Is the cupcake challenging to
draw/sculpt?


I've been drawing cupcakes for about a year now. They're lots of fun to work with because they're simple forms and perfectly distilled images of happiness. People really respond positively to images of cupcakes!

The cupcake sculpture came about because of a need for freshness. I have friends that love getting my cupcakes in the mail but often the cakes would be stale when they arrived. So I thought why not make something that will not only make it through shipping but will also be around to make someone happy for a while?

The cupcakes are easy to make. I just pour plaster into a prepared cupcake tin like normal batter. The icing is made from spackle which sounds crazy until you realize that spackle can be piped like icing. It's really great stuff!

As for what I do with my cupcake sculptures, I send some to friends and I also sell them on etsy. They also make great paperweights while they're waiting to be boxed and shipped.

Do you have anything else to add?

Thanks so much for the interview opportunity! It was lots of fun!

Comments