Cupcake interview with Shara Lunn of Cakes by Shara



(See more photos at Flickr by Cakes by Shara)

Name: Shara Lunn
Age: 37
Location: Nashville TN
Occupation: Chef/Owner of Cakes By Shara
URL: www.cakesbyshara.com

How did Cakes by Shara get started and what are your most common requests?

Cakes by Shara got started by making cakes, Truffles, Chocolate Bark, breads, and wedding cakes for friends and family, and from there it grew, and continues to grow. At first it was seasonal, but now it is year round.
Right now, Cupcakes are very popular, with the next most popular being the Friendship Breads and Cheesecakes.

How many cakes/orders do you have in a given week, and where do most of your customers find out about you?

This can vary from week to week. Every week I am doing The Dotted Line cupcakes, and their biggest order in a week so far has been 130 specialty cupcakes. (I must add that they have only been carrying cupcakes since March 31st). Their cupcakes are the large ones and it is really more like a mini cake because they are like eating 2 cupcakes. I have 2 wedding cakes on the books right now, along w/ an order for 200 Creme Brulee next week, among other things. I get referrals from a couple of local businesses: Sweet Wise (a cake and confection supply shop) refers business to me and word of mouth. Stage Left Catering's Owner Jim LeClaire also refers business to me.

Shara Lunn can be reached at 615-513-1500 or by email sharalunn@comcast.net for an appointment or consultation.

When people order cupcakes, do they usually specify the flavors/colors/decorations they want, or do you decide?

The customer can order just about any flavor that can be made. The Dotted Line cupcakes are usually left up to me to design and they pick their favorites. If a customer wants a custom order I ask to meet with them and we design them together, if it goes out of the normal range of what we offer at The Dotted Line. At Cakes by Shara we try to work with the customer on custom design.

Many of your cupcakes have flower decorations on top—what are those made out of?

This is made out of wonderful fondant, it is called Fondx fondant and it is by http://www.cakevisions.com/FondX.htm. Or if you are local here in Nashville TN you can get this at SweetWise cake and confection shop or visit www.sweetwise.com. I cannot recommend this enough if you are in the business (the flavor is to die for). I then paint them with edible luster dust and / or food coloring.

Some of your cupcakes are available at The Dotted Line in Green Hills, Tennessee—from the feedback you've gotten, which types are the most popular?

The customers at The Dotted Line like the floral arrangements and the flavors they like are Chocolate, Vanilla, and Orange. They are asking for strawberry now, too.

Have you seen a rise in requests for wedding cupcakes and do you do anything different for them than regular cupcakes?

I am seeing a rise in this trend, and the tiered cupcakes are even popular with sweet 16 birthday parties. The cupcakes, because they are small, have to be iced pretty quick or they will dry out, so it is best to work quickly and at least put a crumb coat on them. Then you can decorate them later. You can also use fondant on them and they will not dry out as fast.

You've been baking for over 20 years—have cupcakes gotten more popular in your area?

Absolutely! No question.

You studied at The Opryland Culinary Institute. Was there any specific education you got about cupcakes or has it all been learning by doing?

When I went to culinary school, the focus was on every aspect of the kitchen. I spent a total of 24 weeks in Pastry and Baking. I learned quite a bit when I was there but not so much this kind of design. I have taken a fondant class, and 2 wilton classes. I would love to teach Fondant classes someday also. I would also love to go to Wilton to take a class with Collette Peters.

And one non-cupcake questions—you state that you specialize in "scrumptious wedding cakes, New York style cheesecakes, unique friendship bread, and luscious melt-in-your-mouth truffles." Pardon my ignorance, but what is friendship bread?

Friendship bread is made with a starter that you feed, kind of like sour dough bread. I put many kinds together, like my Tropical, that includes mango's, apricots, apples, and cranberries, with lots of cinnamon. Or the Mandarin Orange, all time favorite Apple cinnamon, or Chocolate cinnamon, and even apple raisin. This is a quick bread or you can make muffins with it. It is famous with some of the Chef's at Gaylord Nashville's Opryland Hotel where I will send "care packages" for the employees that my husband works with.

And now for some personal cupcake questions . . .

How often do you eat cupcakes?

I love to have one when I fill them. That does not happen as often but it is SO good. I like to enjoy other peoples cakes, cupcakes and desserts as well.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

The buttercream.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

I love chocolate ones that are filled with buttercream and dipped in ganach.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

Cupcakes rank right up there. I like them because they are the perfect portion. I love mini cheesecakes too!

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

A fill line for the papers so that they would always match perfectly. You can use a scoop, but even this is not completely perfect.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I bake all my cupcakes. I am hoping someday business will be so good someone will bake them for me and then I can create all day.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

My mother would make them and they never lasted very long at our house because they were yummy.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

The most fun was when I made cupcakes last year with my precious nephew. We made his sister birthday cupcakes, and the delight in his eye and the excitement of a 3-year-old is what this really is all about. To inspire a child or a person is one of the greatest joys!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love reading all this cupcake stuff! I would like to put a link on my brand new website to this site if that's ok with you. Would you reciprocate? I am http://www.cupcakeartist.com
Thanks and look forward to more articles like this one!
Karen O'Brien (alias cupcakeartist in San Francisco)
Anonymous said…
Shara is very talented both as a baker, decorator and photographer. Congrats