Mother's Day cupcake interview with Stefanie Wilder-Taylor, author of Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay

Note from Rachel: As a voracious reader of parenting books (I am not a parent, yet, but I want to be prepared when that day comes), I've read my share of new mom tales. Stefanie Wilder-Taylor Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay is funny, relatable, and easy to read. She agreed to take our cupcake interview, and what better time to post it than on Mother's Day? You can also read her essay "Preggo Land" at the brilliant essay website Fresh Yarn. (And do check out the rest of Fresh Yarn cause it's amaing.) Also Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there, especially those who are forever baking cupcakes for their kids. They should bake YOU cupcakes today (if they're old enough, of course)!

Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom

Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom



Name: Stefanie Wilder-Taylor
Age: 39
Location: Los Angeles
Occupation: Author
URL: http://www.babyonbored.blogspot.com

How often do you eat cupcakes?

I try to avoid them as much as possible so I'd say about three times a day.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

Uh duh, the frosting!

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

I know I'm a big hack, but I love me a chocolate cupcake with sprinkles.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

They are my favorite because unlike cake, you know how much you've had. Unless they are really huge cupcakes then you can rationalize that you just ate one.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

I would like to see a cupcake that actually burns calories.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes
them for you?


I bake my own and have my little girl help me by pouring batter on the floor, lighting things on fire and generally extending the clean up process by about four hours.

Has the experience of eating/baking cupcakes changed since you've become a mom?

What experience HASN'T changed since being a mom?

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Sadly, it's the memory of Hostess cupcakes. My mom wasn't much into cooking desserts but buying them was her specialty. I think I first became OCD from eating those cupcakes in my certain, special way. Half the frosting peeling off the top first, a quarter of the cakey goodness, suck out the filling and then repeat on the other side.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

I can't reveal that on this family website.

Do you have anything else to add?

I think you've just inspired me to make some carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I blame you if I go up a jeans size.

Comments