Cupcake Interview: Marcy Dermansky, Author

Twins/Cupcake Interview

Name: Marcy Dermansky

Age: 36

Location: Astoria, NY

Occupation: Writer
URL: http://marcydermansky.com

How often do you eat cupcakes?
Not enough. I must be hanging out with the wrong crowd.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?
Taking so many little bites. Making the cupcake experience last.
I also like the initial stage of peeling the cupcake from the edges of the crinkly paper and then licking the extra frosting off the paper.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?
I like a vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting, but always from
The Cupcake Cafe in Hell's Kitchen. I feel like they have taken the cupcake to an almost impossible level of greatness. The butter cream roses are really too beautiful to eat.

When I was around twelve and used to bake, I'd make cupcakes from a mix with mix frosting and then put M&Ms on top. Those were always delicious. You can make beautiful designs with M&Ms.

Favorite place to get cupcakes?
The Cupcake Cafe. They have ruined other cupcakes for me. It's not just the roses, but the altogether superior quality of the cupcake. There is almost a nuttiness to the cake. The frosting isn't too sweet. Maybe I should branch out, but I do feel pretty loyal.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods
for you?

No other baked product can really compare to the small, round cuteness appeal of the cupcake. Cupcakes, however, can't replace tiramisu.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the
cupcake that would improve it for you?

I think Hostess cupcakes should be abolished. I don't like them.

Any other thoughts on the topic?
In one scene in TWINS, Chloe sees her twin sister Sue sharing a Snickers bar with her new girlfriend Lisa Markman, "chewing from opposite ends, their tongues touching." I wish, in retrospect, that I had them eating a cupcake. It's a much better image, more romantic.

Author Marcy Dermansky's debut novel, Twins, is will be available in paperback in October 2006.

Comments