Cupcake interview with Elaine Cohen, Cupcake Caboose creator and author of Super-Duper Cupcakes

Super-Duper Cupcakes

Super-Duper Cupcakes



And look for our review and recipe test soon from Elaine's book Super-Duper Cupcakes: Kids' Creations from the Cupcake Caboose.

Name: Elaine Cohen
Age: 33
Location: New York, NY
Occupation: Cupcaker and Creative Strategist
URL: http://www.cupcakecaboose.com

How and when did the Cupcake Caboose get started? Do you run it entirely yourself?

I started my cupcake business in early 2004 and yes I do run it myself.

What's different about Cupcake Caboose cupcakes from your average cupcakes?

Great ratio of cake to frosting, light but full flavored cake and sweet but not too sweet frosting.

What are your hours and areas of operation? How early should orders be placed?

I cater in the NYC area for largish parties and lots of weddings. Orders should be placed at least a week in advance, for weddings at least 2 months lead-time.

Which of your flavors are the most popular? Do you plan to expand your offerings?

Red Velvet, Chocolate and Vanilla. I’m always open to trying flavors and recipes.

Your book, Super-Duper Cupcakes: Kids' Creations from the Cupcake Caboose, was recently released. How did kids inspire these cupcakes, and at what age would you suggest parents’ start teaching their kids to bake?

Yes, I’m so proud of the book. The photos are beautiful and the book looks as fun as it was to write it. Actually this book is a dream come true. It wasn’t hard for me to think from the point of view of a child⎯I remember which shapes and animals were important to me.

I would suggest starting to teach children how to bake at 3 or 4. It’s so much fun to just crack eggs when you are that age.

When did you learn to bake and how have your cupcake baking skills evolved over time? Are there any special tips or advice you have for the budding cupcake baker, young or old?

I used to bake with my mom probably starting at 3 or 4. We would come home from school and bake a cake. Not every day but often and especially if I was having a friend over. We always made my birthday cake together too. My baking skills have blossomed over time. I know understand why some cakes are dense and others light, why some drop in the center and why others have peaked tops. It’s all in the food science and that knowledge is important to know for a baker.

Are there any differences between your child and adult customers when it comes to their cupcake tastes? Are most of your orders for families?

Children aren’t interested in my Red Velvet and Green Tea cupcakes. They want Chocolate or Vanilla. Yes, lots of my orders are for families but many of my orders are for weddings.

And now for some personal questions:

How often do you eat cupcakes?

It depends on how busy my catering business is but probably on average 4 per month.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

It’s your cake and yours alone.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

Chocolate with Vanilla buttercream frosting.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

It’s a dessert that reminds me of the sweetness of life and the importance of very small pleasures.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

Nope, love the form.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

Yup, I bake ‘em, every last one of ‘em.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Birthday number 6 or 7, party hats, balloons, table surrounded by kids, Mom, Dad, and little Elaine.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

One fantastic memory is a cupcake decorating party in Central Park near the Carrousel with beautiful big balloons, lots of my small buddies, and lots of sprinkles.

Do you have anything else to add?

Hey everybody, spread the cupcake sweetness!

Comments