Cupcake interview with Erin of BabyCakes





Name: Erin McKenna
Title: Owner, Babycakes
Age: 30
Location: Lower East Side, New York City
Occupation: Bakery Owner
URL: http://www.babycakesnyc.com

When and why did you start Babycakes?

The concept for BabyCakes came about roughly two years ago.

What are your hours?

Tuesday - Thursday 10 - 10, Friday - Saturday 10 - 11, Sunday 10 - 8.

Your cupcakes don't contain "gluten, wheat, dairy, casein, egg, soy, trans-fat, sugar, or nuts." What do they contain, and how do you sweeten them without sugar?

I use agave nectar to sweeten them, garbanzo fava bean flour, flax meal and other very healthful ingredients

You were diagnosed with food allergies as an adult, but emphasize that many children nowadays also have some of these allergies. Do these allergies tend to disappear as the children get older? Do most of your customers seek you out specifically because they also have similar allergies, or do you also get walk in business?

They do tend to disappear and yes we are sought out very frequently from people all over the country. We also have a huge non-food sensitive crowd who love the frosting.

Was it a crash course for you in learning about nutrition and finding healthy and tasty foods and baked goods?

I was always health driven and very educated on the body's digestion process and what foods to give yourself that will taste good and propel overall health. No one else seemed to be making anything up to my high health standards so I had to do it myself. It was a crash course but a very satisfying one.

For those of us who can eat any type of cupcakes, how do yours stack up compared to regular cupcakes? Can you taste the difference?

New York magazine named us "Best Cupcakes" in the 2006 issue of the Best of New York. Most people say they love the creamy frosting and that it's not too sweet and they don't feel sick after.

Which time of day is the busiest?

8 – 10 p.m. and 2 - 5 p.m.

You also do deliveries within Manhattan; are there any guidelines people should know about placing orders for delivery?

We use a van courier so it's 21.95 below 59th Street. No minimum but since it's kinda pricey we suggest you stock up, freeze them in an air tight container and enjoy them for a while.

What's the most popular cupcake you sell?

The carrot by far.

Do you have any advice for your customers or potential customers? Is there anything you'd like to let people know about Babycakes that they may not glean from the website?

BabyCakes has your health as our main interest—don't be afraid to ask questions when you come in. We're here to be a bit of a sweet sanctuary for the have-nots.

Do you have any plans for expansion, whether in terms of cupcake flavors or in other areas?

I will be opening another in LA and San Diego and thinking about a few different locations. Flavors are added when we have a second of free time from the heavy traffic!

And now for some personal questions . . .

How often do you eat cupcakes?

Every day⎯about 2 – 4.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

They're the perfect size and self contained.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

I love the vanilla with chocolate icing⎯I have very simple taste!

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

I guess I can say I never will eat dessert anywhere else. I love what I make. If I'm craving something I'll make it in a way that I will love it and I will also love what goes in it.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

Not yet⎯maybe an easy cupcake frosting device! I'm the only one in the bakery who can frost and 300+ cupcakes a day along with baking every day can be draining.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes
them for you?


I bake every morning until the other baker, Sabrina Wells, comes in aroun d9 or 10, but I get to come in at 830am on the weekends so I can get a little break from the baking dept.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

A disgusting vanilla cupcakes with hard white icing and sprinkles.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

Frosting my first babycake.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i hope you open one in san diego real soon, preferably somewhere near mira mesa. :) there's a vegan bakery shop in ocean beach, but it's an 1/2 hour drive for me. :(
Cybele said…
I tried them when I was in NYC and I have to say that the cupcake was moist, flavorful and had a great bouncy texture. If someone didn't say it was wheat free and sugar free, I never would have known.
Courtney said…
yay for contributing to soy free goodness!