Cupcake interview with Portland's Cupcake Mama



Name: Allison Kelleher

Age: 37

Location: Portland, Oregon

Occupation: owner/baker, stay-at-home mama to 2 beautiful girls

URL: www.cupcakemama.com

How long have you been baking cupcakes, and who taught you to make them? When did you craft the recipes that you use today in your business?

I’m self-taught, without a long line (or even a short one!) of bakers in the family. I’ve been making cupcakes steadily for several years, modifying and perfecting my recipes. The possibilities are endless. As far as I’m concerned, cupcakes are hands-down the perfect dessert.

When did you first get the idea for Cupcake Mama, and why the name “Cupcake Mama?” How long did it take you from that point to officially start your business?

I love baking and had a desire to run my own business and to do it from home so that I could be with my kids. The name “Cupcake Mama” just came to me one day, and it made me laugh. That’s why I picked it. I registered the name exactly two years ago (February 2005) and then set about licensing my kitchen, testing recipes, designing my packaging . . . My website went up in September 2006.

You currently do deliveries of a dozen or more cupcakes to select Portland zip codes, and also sell your cupcakes at Staccato Gelato. What’s an average day for you like, and how much advance notice do you need? How many cupcakes do you typically bake each day?

I don’t really have “an average day,” although every “baking day” starts at about 3:00 a.m. in the kitchen with NPR. My business is based on special events, parties and gifts, so my weekly baking tends to fluctuate. I suggest 2-3 days notice for orders, but I can usually accommodate my customers if they give me 24 hours.

Is there a certain time of the week or month that’s busiest for you?

Weekends are typically busier with parties and events. And holidays are definitely busy. But you’d be surprised by how many people need cupcakes on Mondays.

Do you have a typical customer? Are most of your customers individuals ordering for parties or events, or do you also have corporate clients?

I have all kinds of customers who are each looking for the same thing—something special that really combines a sophisticated taste and style. I’d say my customers are 50/50 individuals and corporate.



You bill your cupcakes as “decadence from scratch.” Can you tell us more about the ingredients you use and your baking process?

I use gourmet ingredients such as Callebaut chocolate and Nielsen-Massey pure Madagascar Bourbon vanilla in combination with butter, milk, and eggs from local dairies and farms. A number of my ingredients are organic, and I’m moving more in that direction. Each dozen is made-to-order from scratch with a lot of attention to detail. I also make an Italian buttercream that is unbelievably silky and smooth and not too sweet.

Aside from the ingredients, what makes Cupcake Mama’s cupcakes unique?

I get a lot of compliments on how my cupcakes taste, but I get just as many on how beautiful they look. My goal is to make every aspect top notch so that it’s a truly gourmet experience. Everything works together—the hand-made decorations, the elegant, custom box: what I want to do is unify taste and design. That’s why people like them so much as gifts, I think. And because they are made-to-order, you can always create the flavor combination that you want.



Your frosting is done in a special multi-colored swirl. How do you go about doing that, and how long did it take you to perfect it?

I wish I could describe how it’s done, but it’s really just a matter of practice. I combine colors before piping and, through a lot of trial and error, I’ve developed a knack for getting it to come out right.

You offer some unusual flavors, like cinnamon cream cheese, pear, raspberry, and maple frosting, as well as pumpkin ginger cake and banana cake, as well as more traditional flavors like chocolate and vanilla. Which ones are most popular, and how often do you experiment with new flavors?

For buttercreams, vanilla and chocolate are by far the most popular. For cake, it’s the chocolate, which is just so decadent. I love experimenting with new flavors and do it whenever I get a chance.

On your website, it says there’s a Cupcake of the Month Club coming soon. Can you tell us more about that and when it will launch?

The Cupcake of the Month Club will be similar to a fruit or flower of the month club. You’ll be able to order 3, 6, or 12 months of cupcakes to be delivered or picked up. There will be a steadily increasing discount, so the more you order the cheaper it will be per dozen. It will launch very soon.

What’s been the biggest challenge about launching your own cupcake business, and what’s been the biggest thrill about it?

Initially, licensing my kitchen was the biggest challenge. But now that my business is up and running, each day is thrilling because I’m doing what I love to do.

Do you have plans to expand into your own shop?

I never rule anything out.

Have you done a lot of weddings, and do you have any special recommendations or offerings for wedding cupcakes?

I have just started doing weddings and love it. It’s wonderful to be a part of such a special day. As far as recommendations go, it’s basically up to the bride and groom—the flavors, colors, decorations—like my dozens, it’s all custom. I can design and set up a beautiful, artistic display as well, and I generally gravitate to displays that are unique. I’ll be adding more wedding-oriented photos to my site this summer. I also give the happy couple a free dozen on their one-year anniversary.

What’s been the most elaborate or exciting order you’ve had so far? Who would your dream client be?

My dream clients are the ones who give me free artistic reign. The most elaborate order I’ve done so far was actually for a cupcake wedding display at a bridal salon. The cupcakes appeared to be blooming from small fields of wheat grass. And from a distance, they really looked like flowers.

What’s your take on the so-called “cupcake craze?” The bigger cities like New York and LA are usually cited when it comes to the popularity of cupcakes; as someone in the Pacific Northwest, do you think there’s a regional appeal to your cupcakes, or is the allure of cupcakes a universal phenomenon?

I think cupcakes are so popular because they can be anything. That versatility is the reason why I chose to start a cupcake business. People have referred to the cupcake as the “little black dress” of desserts, and I agree. It’s perfect for all occasions. You can dress it up; you can dress it down. It’s easy to accessorize. The appeal is universal—and for my cupcakes in particular, it’s about that marriage of great taste and great design.

And now for some personal questions:

How often do you eat cupcakes?

Because I bake by the dozen, I never have any leftovers! So, I only eat entire cupcakes when I’m trying out new recipes. While I’m baking, however, I always taste test to make sure everything is just right.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

The way real buttercream melts in your mouth.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

Chocolate cake with lavender buttercream.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

There is nothing better than a cupcake—chocolate mousse comes in a close second, but I guess that’s not actually a baked good.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

The basic form of the cupcake is already perfect—that’s why I like to work within that form to create something that is delicious and elegant. For me, keeping it simple and making the small improvements is the way to go.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I bake each and every one. It’s a one-mama operation.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Going to my neighbor’s birthday parties and eating chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow fluff topping (she had them every year, and I loved them!).

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

Watching my youngest daughter devour her first birthday cupcake.

Do you have anything else to add?

Thank you for letting me be a part of this fun blog—I look forward to meeting you in person at the end of March!

Comments

R* said…
her cupcakes are so pretty! especially the frosting!
Rhiannon Bosse said…
Oh I love the frosting!!