A cupcake interview

Name: Ericka

Age: 29

Location: Somerville, MA (just north of Cambridge)

Occupation: I am a technical assistant at a small computer storage & backup sales firm.

URL: http://metagnat.livejournal.com/

How often do you eat cupcakes?

Not often enough, I must say, though I've recently started frequenting a bakery that has cupcakes with seriously chocolatey & creamy frosting that are cheap and good. Anyhow, my patronage of this bakery has brought my recent total up to one or two a week.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

I like the frosting-to-cake ratio on most cupcakes, especially if the frosting is a good and creamy kind, rather than a sugary kind. I also like the decadence of having my own, individual snack. I love taking a first bite out of a cupcake and experiencing all the different textures and flavors that are involved, and all without a fork!

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

I like anything with chocolate frosting, for sure...and anything that's decorated in a zany or fun way.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

I am a big cookie fan and a cake fan. Cupcakes have some of the advantages of each. Cookies are a little more portable, but they lack frosting (usually). It may be a cupcake-cookie draw.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

I like them pretty well as they are, but if I had to pick: Peanut butter centers!

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I occasionally bake my own - the last time was Halloween, though. Of course, after all this, I may have to bake some tonight.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

When I was in elementary school, my mother used to make cupcakes for me to take into school on my birthday⎯one for each person in the class. I remember always having some anxiety over being sure there were enough. I understand in many schools, bringing in home-baked goods is no longer allowed. I think that is very sad.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

I don't think I can pick out an incident of the most fun. I think saying the word is fun. It's almost onomatopoeic. Saying "cupcake" is like a little slice of eating one.

Do you have anything else to add?

I think cupcakes get short shrift in modern life because it is not easy to mass produce them well. I'm glad you are out there celebrating those taking pride in a craft like cupcakery! Cupcakes can run the gamut from simple and direct to outrageous vehicles for self-expression, as your site proves, and I think that is great.

Comments