Just say no to the cupcake haters

Seattle Weekly's Voracious blog is over cupcakes. So over them and "the utter hysteria over cupcakes." I'll totally cop to that. Yes, we ask probing questions of bakeries and cupcake fans. Yes, we track cupcake news and post mouth-watering photos. It's a cupcake blog, and there are ever-growing masses of us. So before you go and get all Joel Stein on us (and for the record, I heart Joel and he will be a cupcake interviewee here just as soon as I get it together to wrap up my interview with him, and he's not as big a cupcake hater as he comes across in that piece in my opinion), can't we all just get along? I know to some people it may seem overboard, but can't we all just get along?

Give me a freaking break! How precious is this going to get? Pearls on the cupcake? Been there. Graceful plastic deer from the 1940s holding up your candle?

And let me make a wild prediction: it's going to get a whole hell of a lot more precious. Bring on the cupcakes, I say. They, and their fans, are multiplying.

In all seriousness, I'm not a cupcake evangelist. I have friends who've thought I'd be offended if they didn't want cupcakes I've offered, or just plain don't like them. Of course not! But I think those of us who are passionate about our cupcakes do share something special. We are part of a cupcake community that includes all the blogs, all the bakeries, all the people out their whipping up recipes and wearing cupcake t-shirts and generally taking part in something that makes us happy. For me, it's that simple. Cupcakes, whether in photo or edible form, make me happy. They're sweet and simple and colorful and luscious. They can turn a bad day into a good one with just a dollop of frosting. They can be innocent and they can be sultry. They can be small or gargantuan, simple or complex. They can be whatever we want them to be, and for something so small, they really do have quite a lot of power. Cupcakes are democratic. For everyone that invokes Sex and the City, I actually think they're not about being showy or glamorous, but down home and simple (with some exceptions, of course). They are not about east coast or west coast or big city vs. small. Cupcake bakeries are spreading all across the country and into the rest of the world and you can almost hear the clamoring for them. So you'd better get used to it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just added a cupcake delivery service (FINALLY) to my cake business! Cute cupcake pics on my blog :) !