Cupcake interview: Kumquat Cupcakery

We've become big fans of Brooklyn bakery Kumquat Cupcakery and their adorable mini cupcakes, which are perfect for taking a few to visit friends or ordering a bunch for a party. Here founder/owner Keavy McPherson Landreth shares her cupcake-baking secrets...(all images via the Kumquat site - the one below features her about to eat one of her own creations)

Keavy of Kumquat Cupcakery

Name: Keavy MacPherson Landreth
Age: 25
Location: Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Occupation: Freelance Baker and Painter
URL: kumquatcupcakery.blogspot.com

How long have you been baking, and when/why did you decide to start Kumquat Cupcakery? Why'd you pick the name "Kumquat?"

My mother was a baker, so I basically grew up in the kitchen learning about baking and watching her bake the most beautiful desserts.

I started Kumquat Cupcakery about a year after I graduated from Parsons School of Design; I was doing a lot of traditional portraiture, but getting really antsy with it. Since baking has always been my great procrastination tool, as well as a source of comfort for me, I started baking all the time. It got to the point where it was taking up the majority of my free time. I quickly became obsessed with the thought of making cupcakes that weren't the traditional vanilla vanilla, but almost gourmet in their appearance and taste. I started making so many that the transition to minis (which is why I picked the name Kumquat) was ultimately due to the fact that my tiny Brooklyn apartment wasn't big enough to accommodate them all.



You sell your cupcakes at Williamsburg's Artists and Fleas. What's the reaction like there – do you usually sell out? Are people surprised to see you selling cupcakes amidst jewelry, books, and clothing?

People are a little shocked to see me sitting there amongst the jewelry and books, and it takes them a little while to actually come over and try a cupcake, but in the end most people do. People’s initial hesitation towards the cupcakes doesn't seem to have an effect on the sales though, because I usually end up selling out at least 30 minutes before they close.

What makes your cupcakes unique?

Well the obvious reason is that they are mini sized instead of normal sized cupcakes. The second reason would be the amount of different flavors I offer, and I'm constantly working on more to add to the menu. I play with flavors like white chocolate and raspberry, as well as sometimes adding alcohol into the mix to spice things up a bit. I think of cupcakes as mini cakes, and there are so many different delicious types of cakes in the world that I'm not sure why most cupcake companies tend to only stick to chocolate and vanilla.



You not only specialize in cupcakes, but mini cupcakes. Why minis, and what are the advantages and disadvantages for you as a baker to do minis vs. regular size cupcakes?

I do this because I think it's fun for people to get to test out a bunch of different flavors, instead of eating one giant vanilla cupcake, with a mountain of frosting, that leaves you feeling like you just ate a pound of sugar.

What are the main flavors you offer, and do you take flavor suggestions?

Of course I take flavor suggestions; some of my closest friends’ favorite pastime is telling me what types of cupcakes I should make next.

As for flavors, I tend to change the menu depending on what's in season at the moment, i.e. gingerbread around Christmas, and cherries in the summer.

I know you probably won't tell me all your secrets, but your peanut butter frosting is truly divine, and definitely in my top five cupcakes I've ever had. What do you do to get them to taste so good?

Well, the not so big secret as to why people love chocolate and peanuts together is the balance between the salt and the sugar. So when I make the cupcakes I add a little bit more salt to the middle filling, but keep the frosting on top smooth and nicely sugary.

You experiment with different flavors each week at the flea market. Which flavors are most popular, and where do you get ideas for new flavors - are they seasonal? Which are your personal favorites?

I've had great feedback from the flavors that I bring to the flea market, it's often where I'll bring my newest flavor to see how people respond to it. I would have to say though that my best seller is still the red velvet. It always seems to sell out first. Something about that bright red cake gets people so excited.



You do custom cupcakes for parties and events. What areas of New York City do you offer services to, what's your minimum order and how far in advance does someone need to book you?

Right now I'm delivering cupcakes to areas around Manhattan and Brooklyn. My minimum order is 24 cupcakes, and I usually need at least 3 to 4 days notice.

What's been the most fun cupcake event you've catered so far?

I'm going to have to say hands down the Cupcakes Take The Cake anniversary party! I met so many fantastic new people who are all as equally obsessed with cupcakes as I am, and I even won an apron! You can't top that.

How long does it take you to make your weekly cupcakes?

It depends on how many different flavors people order that week. Some days I'll spend only an hour, and others I'll spend a full eight hour shift baking cupcakes.

Do you have any plans to open a storefront?

I would love love love to open a storefront somewhere in Williamsburg. It's where I live and where I started the cupcake business so it just seems right. It might take a while, but I promise that it is somewhere in the near future.

What would your dream cupcake catering job be?

I would love to one day cater my own gallery opening. I'm not sure if the cupcakes would be the art, or would just be there for people to chow down on while looking at the art. Either way it would be delicious.

What's the best and worst thing about running Kumquat Cupcakery?

The best thing would have to be dropping off cupcakes for someone that was unaware they were going to get cupcakes. I've made a couple deliveries to girlfriends with long distant boyfriends, and it's way too cute to see how excited they get.

The worst thing about running Kumquat Cupcakery would be the amount of responsibility it takes. Starting up my own business is really fun, but if something goes wrong the only person that suffers from it is me, so it's quickly forced me to become way more organized than I ever have before.



And now for some personal questions…

How often do you eat cupcakes?

This varies a lot. If I'm making a flavor I've made a hundred times then I do pretty well at not tasting it, but if the cupcake is a newbie I might end up eating four or five of them in the same day. Then of course I love tasting other cupcakes so if I'm walking down the street and I see a new bakery there's no hesitation and going in and buying one.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

mmmm, if it's made right, everything.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

This is a tricky question for me since I have such a big sweet tooth. Usually my favorite ends up being the most recent cupcake that I've made, but if I had to pick two I would have to go with the Chocolate Cupcake with Chocolate Mousse Filling, and the Banana Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

I've just always liked cakes better than any other dessert item, for me the richer the dessert the better. The combination of the creamy frosting and the dense moist cake is just so perfect, and when this combination comes in a bite-sized version that was made just for you, it's love.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

I'm actually working on a couple things that I think will be really fun for the cupcake world, but you'll just have to wait for that.

As for other bakeries, I think I would like to see them put a bit more love and attention into each cupcake instead of just trying to copy Magnolias.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I'm sure one day I'll be able to hire someone to take my place in the kitchen, but for now it's just me.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

I believe that would have to be when I was 4 or 5 and I snuck into the kitchen the night before my mom was throwing a party and ate all the pink frosting off of the cupcakes she had just baked.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

hmmm, I'm going to say when I was back in Seattle over the holidays and my little sister convinced me to combined all the leftover batters into one big cupcake. It was not the best cupcake I’ve ever made I'll admit, but playing with food every once in a while can be so much fun.

Do you have anything else to add?

Yes! A shameless plug! Check out the January 31st edition of Time Out New York. Kumquat Cupcakery's box of chocolate cupcakes for Valentine’s Day is going to be featured in it!

Comments

Parisbreakfasts said…
Just what I'm looking for!
THANKS
the more mini the better to paint.
These are adorable.
Carolg
Anonymous said…
cool interview! i work at do hwa so i get to taste it every now and then. they could be really really addictive!