Cupcake Interview: Elizabeth Blue of Pembroke & Lu


Name: Elizabeth Blue
Occupation: Actor
Neighborhood: Midtown
URL: Pembroke and Lu
I met Elizabeth last year when she performed at Chicks and Giggles. If you're in New York City, you can check out Pembroke and Lu on Monday at The P.I.T.

You are one half of a musical comedy duo, Pembroke & Lu. How did you get started?
Rory and I met in the improv group ComedySportz. I had done some stand-up comedy but really wanted to work with someone else on stage. I could play flute and he played guitar so we decided we'd create some sort of musical act. Rather than just writing funny songs, we wanted to create characters whose lives and personalities we could draw from for the songs. We did most of our brainstorming over IM during our day jobs. We ended up with political activists because there's constant material. And with a flute and guitar, folk music seemed to fit best, and so we mirrored ourselves after the protest singers of the 60's. And these two kooky characters were born.

How did you enjoy working at Magnolia Bakery? Do you bake at home now?

I had a great time working there. But the never-ending lines could get overwhelming, and it was a very physically demanding job, icing so many cupcakes. It was really interesting to be a part of the cupcake craze and see all the celebrities who would come by. I was there the day Andy Samberg and Chris Parnell came by to get some cupcakes to film Lazy Sunday. Andy was really nice and humored me when I was asking him questions about what they were doing. Then, it was a huge hit. After that, we not only got the Sex and the City crowd and tourists, but frat boys were now in the throngs to get cupcakes.

And I love to bake at home! I make cupcakes for parties at work, friends' birthdays, and anytime I have an excuse to.

What's the best tip for icing cupcakes?
Practice makes perfect! That's why all the cupcakes at Magnolia are so pretty--Everyone spends hours and hours and hours icing cupcakes.
It's easiest to ice a cupcake once it has cooled down to room temperature. If it's still warm, the cupcake top gets messy. And use LOTS of icing. It's much easier to maneuver a lot of icing than trying to smear a smaller portion over a whole cupcake. Also, using a variety of sprinkles and colors and little sugar dec-ons is a great way to doll a cupcake up.


What's your favorite cupcake flavor?
I am a big fan of vanilla cupcakes with chocolate icing. Simple and delicious.


What's your favorite cupcake-related memory?

This past Christmas, I went home to Nashville and baked cupcakes at my friend's new apartment, and we were getting ready to have our best friends over for our annual Christmas get-together. I made spice cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese. It's a really lovely memory of Christmas and home and great friends.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?
I'm a fan of just about any baked good--I love scones, cookies, pie... But I love to make cupcakes because people are so excited by them. People's eyes always light up when you give them a cupcake. That doesn't happen with a blueberry muffin. I think cupcakes are such a treat because they are rich and delicious, but not too extravagant like a giant piece of cake. They are little works of art with all the things you can do with icing and sprinkles and cupcake flavor.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?
I think the cupcake design is pretty solid as it is. But I love to see all the new and inventive ways people find to decorate cupcakes for all occasions, and the interesting recipes that are constantly being created and tried out.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?
I made eggnog cupcakes for the Christmas party at the P.I.T. last year--Those were super fun to make and they were delicious. I loved having Christmas music on and drinking eggnog and rum and getting in the spirit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Those eggnog cupcakes were yummy! Blue's cupcakes are the bomb!!
reeve said…
yea! I went to college with Blue...she is such a sweetheart!