Cupcake interview with Michelle Garcia of Chicago's The Bleeding Heart Bakery


Photo via Bleeding Heart Bakery on Flickr

Name: Michelle Garcia
Age: 29
Occupation: Pastry Chef
Location: Chicago, Illinois
URL: www.thebleedingheartbakery.com

How long have you been baking, and what made you want to start a bakery?

I've been baking for my whole life and always wanted a bakery, just wasn't sure of what kind until about four years ago.

Bleeding Heart Bakery is the first certified organic bakery in the United States. What does this mean exactly, and why are you committed to being fully organic?

We gained our certification about six months ago, but had always used organic products, so we really didn't need to change anything to get our certification. We have to use products that are either certified organic OR have been approved by our certifier. This is a total commitment. We intend on opening more places in the future and will never sway from the organics, it's what we believe in.

You’ve worked at places such as Whole Foods, Blind Faith Bakery, Citizen Cake, and Vosges Haut-Chocolat, as well as studying at the French Pastry School. What’s been the biggest thing you’ve learned from these experiences that you use today in running the bakery?

There was a specific reason I chose to work at each placed I have been employed in. Usually I chose to work for women and/or organics. I knew that I was going to open my own place eventually, so I sought out people who I looked up to and wanted to learn from.


Photo by Flickr user PartyLiz

How does being organic affect the taste and price of your products?

Being organic usually doubles what I would charge for the product otherwise, but up against any other bakery, we really don't charge more. Sometimes I feel like we don't charge enough, but I never want to feel like I am robbing people, which is what I feel most bakeries, unfortunately, do. There is usually a 150% markup, we only do 30-75%. I believe organic tastes better, there are no nasty chemicals disguising the taste of anything.

What kinds of cupcakes do you offer?

We offer vegan, conventional and gluten free cupcakes in about 6-12 flavors a day, but we are always changing them.

Along with cupcakes, you sell everything from pumpkin-spice marshmallows to pumpkin-pecan scones and ginger-root brownies. How popular are cupcakes compared to your other sweet offerings?

Cupcakes are up and down with us. We moved recently and they have become much more popular. I believe that is due to the higher concentration of children in our new location.

Right now you have a 7 Deadly Sins display and specials. What was the inspiration for it and how long will these products be offered?

The seven deadly sins collection was my answer to my itch to create something edgier than what I have been doing. I naturally want to create controversial products, but the bakery is so child friendly, I can't afford to offend people. I plan on offering the seven deadly sins until the end of the month, then turning all the flavors into candy bars and using them to start my new confections business.



As part of this special, you have Sid Vicious tribute cupcakes in whiskey and chocolate flavor. What other kinds of special cupcakes have you sold?

The sid cupcake is my favorite, but we have done rootbeer float, creamsicle and the Elvis with banana, honey and bacon.



Is there a typical Bleeding Heart customer?

I wish I could say there was a typical Bleeding Heart customer, but there isn't. We attract people interested in pastry, organics, punk rock, vegan, allergies...it's all over the board.

What are your busiest times of the day/week?

Friday and Saturday are our busiest days, but Sunday is starting to get up there too, but there is a steady stream of customers all day.

Do you do catering and if so, how far in advance should someone book you?

We do cater and we usually ask people to speak with us about a month in advance.

What would be your dream cupcake catering gig?

I would love to make cupcakes for Musink, Kat Von D's music and tattoo show in LA.

What are your favorite and least favorite things about running your bakery?

My bakery is difficult, because there is a lot to do. I love the creative things, especially the cakes and wedding cakes, I HATE keeping up with paperwork and bills.

Why do you think cupcakes have risen to such popularity in recent years?

Cupcakes are the perfect dessert, a little frosting, a little cake, not too big, you don't feel like a pig if you finish one and they are a blank palette which you can make anything from.

And now for some personal questions…

How often do you eat cupcakes?

I eat cupcakes anytime we make a new flavor, and anytime my son does, because he shoves them in my mouth.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

The best thing about eating cupcakes is that they are small and easier to conceal.

What’s your favorite type of cupcake?

My favorite type of cupcake is the sid, chocolate soaked in whiskey, topped with whiskey ganache and French meringue.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

I really am a brownie girl, but cupcakes are second (sorry).

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

I would like to see biodegradable cupcake liners that do not fall off the sides of the cake.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I usually bake my own. :(

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

My first cupcake related memory is my cake from my third birthday, my mom just threw a bunch of cupcakes in a pile and mounded them with ice cream.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

The most fun I've had...had to be putting the bacon tuile on top of the bacon cupcakes...I finally got the balls to do it.


Image via Bleeding Heart Bakery on Flickr

Comments

Cakespy said…
This place is definitely on my to-do list the next time I go to Chicago!