Cupcake blog mini roundup

Here are a few recent cupcakes from cupcake baking blogs we've noticed - click through for recipes (see? we really do link to recipes...when we have them)(:

Bailey's Mint Chocolate Chip cupcakes from Baking Bites



The cupcakes are a tiny bit more substantial than the ultra-fluffy cupcakes that I usually aim to bake because I needed them to be able to support the weight of the chocolate chips for good distribution. Mini chocolate chips worked out perfectly and were found in every bite of the cake. The flavor of the Bailey’s was relatively subtle, but definitely carried through into the cake. Regular Bailey’s will work fine in this recipe, although the Bailey’s Mint Chocolate Irish Cream I used will work out even better because it adds another layer of chocolate mint to the cupcake.

Aside from the Bailey’s, the cakes themselves don’t have any mint in them. The majority of the mint flavor comes from some sweet and potent frosting that is spread on top of the cakes. I think that the cakes taste best without mint in them and the clarity of the mint flavor really comes through exceptionally well in the frosting. The chocolate drizzle on top ofthe cupcakes is made with unsweetened chocolate. Don’t worry about it being too bitter, though. It balances well with the sweet mint frosting and prevents the whole dessert from being too sweet. And besides, there is only a very small amount on top of each cupcake.


Cadbury Marshmallow Creme "Egg" Cupcakes from I Heart Cuppycakes



From The Cupcakery - The Five Star Irish Stout; Chocolate Guinness Stout Cake with Chocolate Ganache and Bailey's Buttercream Swirl - click through for recipe



The cake is so moist and surprisingly not as dense as you would think. It is definitely from the sour cream. The Guinness Stout adds such depth of flavor that does not make the "chocolate" part of the cupcake taste too sweet. I would be remiss if I did not tell you how luscious the Guinness and butter simmering before adding the Dutch-process cocoa smelled. I could almost swear a loaf of fresh baked bread was in the oven (it was that good)! I have made this recipe with and with out mini-morsel chocolate chips; It's entirely up to you - but if you really like chocolate... the more, the merrier! The ganache is a perfect complement to the robust flavors of the cake and then I added a swirl of Bailey's Buttercream frosting on top of all this deliciousness. This, if I may say, was a really unexpected surprise for the tastebuds each time I make this recipe.

Kaleidocakes cupcakes from Not Quite Nigella - click through for recipe



I have to declare that whilst these little cupcakes are an arresting sight, they actually taste as good as they look. The orange rind and cream cheese make them so soft and they taste like moist orange scented friands. I am one of those people that sticks whole oranges in the freezer in case I ever need rind or juice. It would probably be better if I zested and juiced the oranges first and put them in a zip lock bag I know. Perhaps I’ll get around to doing that sometime.

Red Velvet Whopper - The Cupcake from Joy the Baker - click through for recipe (via All Things Cupcake - click for even more recipes!)



How do I describe the taste of Red Velvet cake? Well, it’s not vanilla cake, but it’s certainly not all chocolate. Red Velvet cake, for lack of a more creative vocabulary, tastes like sweet red cake. Without rich and decadent frosting, this cake is light, moist, quite tasty and yes, red. My favorite Red Velvet cake is relentlessly smothered in brown sugar cream cheese frosting.

These turtle cupcakes from 52 Cupcakes don't have a recipe but sure look yummy:


see more photos in her Flickr set

Layla and I quickly whipped up some "Fear the Turtle" cupcakes because we're so nervous! Nothing like a good cupcake when you're nervous....These are dark chocolate cupcakes with either vanilla or chocolate frosting, topped with a chocolate turtle and a candy basketball.

Comments