A cupcake-filled day

Contrary to what some of you may think, we do not eat cupcakes every day. Or even every week. Some days and weeks, yes, they make an appearance, but most of the time, I have them 1-2 times a month. Today, I was given cupcakes twice.

First, my coworker brought in these Guinness cupcakes. She warned me they might not be that sweet, and she was right, in a good way. The chocolate ganache frosting was light, not overpowering. I only tasted a smidgen of the Bailey's Irish cream (white) frosting. It was good but it was too early for frosting.

Cut to lunchtime. My friend Tess and I go to this amazing organic place Free Foods on 45th Street between 5th and 6th, which had a super delicious salad bar that made me want to eat there every day (meats and fish and raw/vegan sushi and lasagna and beets and major yumminess). I was feeling like I was eating super healthy when she told me they also have cupcakes! I shouldn't have been surprised because I really think cupcakes are just everywhere lately, not just on this blog.

Cupcake counter at Free Foods

We were given the Pinot Noir and chocolate/coconut/banana ones to try, free. By now, I've tasted most flavors of frosting out there, but never banana. It was light and creamy, soft like a buttery frosting but not buttery tasting. It was sweet but not overpowering and went perfectly with the chocolate cake. We were pretty full but still demolished it. I was super impressed. The Pinot Noir cupcake, which I'm told is a customer favorite, didn't do much for me. Maybe because after the banana one, the ganache just tasted too plain, or I was full of cupcake.

Free Foods' organic cupcakes

Of course, that didn't stop me from trying the third contender, the autumn pear cupcake with fennel and anise. This one was good, but more like a muffin - a denser cake, and a gooey topping that wasn't frosting. Good, but nowhere near the divine perfection of the banana. That's the kind of cupcake that I could eat every day. I won't, but I could.

Autumn pear cupcake

Comments

Brownie said…
Thanks for the tip, Rachel! I'm always looking for a good new lunch place. The banana cupcake sounds AMAZING!