Cupcake baking advice

From ScrippsNews:

Q: Why do my cupcakes come out flat on top or slightly sunken in on top? Is it my muffin pan, oven temperature or mixing that causes this to happen? I'd love to be able to bake nicely rounded top cupcakes. -- JT Kageyama, Elk Grove, Calif.

A: There are three main reasons why your cupcakes might deflate: over-mixed batter, too much baking powder or soda, or overfilled cups.

Over-mixing the batter leads to increased gluten production, ending up with a tight, dense final product. Unless gluten is desirable (like in some breads), it's generally best to fold the ingredients with a light hand, usually until they just come together.

Baking powder and baking soda, when used judiciously, result in small pockets of air evenly distributed through the dough. These pockets are a result of the carbon-dioxide-producing reaction with acidic ingredients in the dough. If there is too much baking soda or powder, the bubbles of carbon dioxide expand too greatly and break, causing collapse.

Overfilled cups mean that, when the cupcake rises, it won't have anywhere to go -- it will level itself out. This is easy to avoid; just fill your cupcake cups no more than three-quarters full, so the batter can rise sufficiently.

Comments

Lilly said…
I just found your site. It's great. I am cupcake crazy there is no denying it. Thanks for the tips. The best part of making them is the decorating. I just included a photo on my blog of ones I made yesterday and, at the bottom of my post, I put a link to your site for any other cupcake obsessed readers out there. Hope that is fine by you. http://fearlessandfabulous.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
Hi, I have another suggestion on flat and deflated cupcakes...when I use butter as the fat in the recipe the cupcakes are almost always flat and sometimes sink in the middle or deflate during cooking. When I switch to oil or sour cream they have a nice round dome. If I increase the flour with butter recipes they dome better but are more dry, so I usually just use oil as the fat and a bit more vanilla to enhance the flavors.
Anonymous said…
I also discover that my cupcakes do not rise as well when using butter. But, I do prefer the taste of butter in my cupcakes.
Vida said…
I find using a ice cream scoop helps me to evenly fill each cupcake everytime. There are at least 3 sizes and they suit from the mini to the maxi cupcake moulds. Hope this helps. Vida
www.vidaatpenthouse2.blogspot.com