"Grocery store cupcakes taste homemade"

That's the headline in an article in the St. Petersburg Times, "Taster's Choice: Grocery store cupcakes taste homemade" - What do you think? Do your grocery store's cupcakes stack up?


Photo via St. Petersburg Times

Taster's Choice judges tried five vanilla-flavored, store-bought cupcakes with white frosting. They decided a couple were pretty satisfying — and much cheaper than a plane ticket.

The Publix store-baked cupcakes ($1.09 each) ranked the highest with 72 out of 100 possible points from our panelists. Four of the five judges said they have bought the Publix cupcakes in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

The cake was moist, the frosting creamy but firm, and the flavor was very sweet.

"This is the best icing of all time," said one judge. He also liked the robust size of the cupcake.

Another panelist said the Publix cupcakes tasted the most homemade.

"They are very rich with lots of vanilla flavor," she said. It didn't hurt that the Publix cupcakes were iced with a swirl of vanilla frosting and a pink flower.

The cupcakes from Super Target ($3.29 for a six-pack) were also a hit. Judges awarded the cakes 71 points and, again, four of them said they would buy them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I live in the area in which this article was written. I've had these cupcakes, while they are great when you need something to take to a party at the last minute, nothing beats homemade cupcakes from scratch.
I work at Publix as a cake decorator, and Publix cake and cupcakes are the best! Our buttercream is even better, and while many have tried to copy it, I have yet to come across anything close!

That said, I will be starting my own gourmet cupcake business soon!
Tiffani said…
Heck no! I can't stand grocery store cupcakes. They are an insult to cupcakes!!

Check out my blog...
wwww.accidentalchic.blogspot.com

I gave your blog a shout out, I love it!!
Jonesie said…
I'm usually disappointed in *all* grocery store baked goods.