Obama buys cupcakes



"Even candidates need junk food," The Daily Voice

Sen. Barack Obama took a few minutes out of his busy campaign schedule to do a little shopping in Pennsylvania yesterday.

Here's how the Wall Street Journal described it: "He dropped in on the Shop-Rite supermarket in East Norriton Township, where he did a lap of the store, beginning with the produce aisle, with red plastic shopping basket in hand. He grabbed gala apples, a bag of baked cheese curls, a bottle of water, and a package of cupcakes -- Tastykake butterscotch krimpets. His grand total: $9.40."

Comments

Carrie said…
Only the best for Obama right?? What great person wouldn't choose cupcakes really??
Anonymous said…
taskykake butterscotch krimpets are NOT cupcakes. Nothing against them - I love them. But I wouldn't ever say they were cupcakes. Just shows the WSJ has no clue.
Unknown said…
They could give the man a little breathing room, jeez! Good thing Michelle didn't need tampons or pads that would be all over the news!
Anonymous said…
I love Obama that much more!
Unknown said…
BTW - Very nice blog you have here!
Anonymous said…
Agreed-- the butterscotch krimpets could be described as cupcakelike, but they are definitely not cupcakes. I haven't had one in years, but they were a big part of my childhood and I remember them being really good.
Carrie said…
I have never heard of tastykake butterscotch krimpets..what are they if not cupcakes? I am curious :)
Susie Bright said…
omg, a man making groceries. I'm getting warm all over.
Anonymous said…
They're kind of like a ...rectangularish... small butterscotch cake... with wavy sides and rounded edges. Covered in a thin layer of butterscotch icing that you can peel off. I know that's a bad description but I don't know how else to explain them.

Tastycake is a somewhat regional (Philadelphia area) thing. I grew up in South Jersey and assumed they were ubiquitous, until I heard stories of friends going to college in other states and having their parents ship Tastycakes to them. I'm pretty sure I've seen them here in Washington, DC, though.