We love Fat Daddy Bake Shop

my Fat Daddy Bake Shop order

I have been intrigued with the idea of mail order cupcakes for a long time, and when I noticed the many high ratings on Etsy for Fat Daddy Bake Shop I was even more intrigued. Cupcakes in a jar? What?

Fat Daddy Bake Shop cupcakes in a jar

I decided to try the Cuckoo for Coconut and PMS Chocolate Overload cupcakes. The total was $20.99 ($13 for the cupcakes, $7.99 shipping), meaning that of course I could easily find a bakery near me and buy cupcakes for way cheaper than that. But I wanted to test them out because they sounded delicious and I love giving cupcakes as gifts, but that's challenging if I don't want to order a dozen or don't know where to get one in someone's town, not to mention how to get it to them.

I ordered my cupcakes on Tuesday, April 1st, and they arrived on Friday, April 4th. I didn't open them until Saturday, and they were packaged adorably, as you can see above, with a ribbon and wrapped in tissue paper.

Yummy coconut cupcake in a jar

And how did they taste, you ask? Well, I would say the Cuckoo for Coconut one was "sinfully delicious." It was sweet and very coconut-y, and I shared a little with my cousins, but couldn't eat the whole thing at once. I didn't even open the chocolate one until the next day because the first one had so satisfied me. I like the way she layers the frosting and cake, and it was a new experience to eat a cupcake out of a jar (I wouldn't advise trying to remove it intact from the jar).

When I did try the PMS Chocolate Overload, I was also in cupcake love. The top has crushed Oreos and basically tastes like Oreo frosting, and the chocolate cake itself had chocolate chips in it that added a great texture/more chocolate. I'd say I liked the coconut a little bit better than the chocolate - the cake was slightly moister - but both were amazing and highly recommended.

I loved the packaging (it came with plastic forks!) and the cupcakes were amazing. I'll definitely be ordering again.

Fat Daddy recently changed the way they do business:

All of our cupcakes can be ordered on a first come first serve basis. We restock the shop every Tuesday unless otherwise stated. At this time I will only be listing cupcakes on TUESDAYS in amounts of what I can comfortably bake during my pregnancy. Please do not hesitate to purchase what you see listed, if a listing is sold out it will *not* be reposted until the following Tuesday.

So check them out tomorrow for their full listing of amazing flavors. Check out their FAQ to sign up for their newsletter and get info: they ship internationally as well, so whoever asked us about shipping to Australia, try them! It says there that they'll be opening a shop in Chicago in the spring as well.

For those wondering about freshness, here's what a card that came with my cupcakes said:

IMPORTANT Storing and Freezing Directions:

Fat Daddy Cupcakes in a jar are shelf stable for up to 5 days and can be frozen upon receipt for up to 8 weeks. Just thaw on the counter top for a few hours.

You can store your cupcakes in the refrigerator to extend shelf life to 7-10 days:

PLEASE LET THEM WARM TO ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE EATING!


We're going to be interviewing Nicole of Fat Daddy, who is expecting her third child, soon. Check out this great interview with her at The Indie Path to find out where they got the name and more:



How did you come to the decision to focus on cupcakes?

I’ve been baking and cooking for ever, but when I became pregnant with my little guy Johnathan, I suffered from seizures and was put on house arrest Lol! I couldn’t drive or be left alone so I spent a lot of time at home with not much to do, coupled with some wicked insomnia, I dove into my baking and decided to come up with the “perfect” cupcake recipe, after a bunch of trial and error I started pumping out some seriously yummy concoctions! I chose cupcakes, because they remind me of my childhood, my grandmother always had cupcakes waiting for me and my brother when we got home from school, and I want my children to have warm memories of “mommies” yummy little cakes for themselves!




The photo below is from Fat Daddy, of the Fat Daddy of the Bride Cupcake:

This listing is for 1 1/2 pint(8oz) jar of FAT DADDY OF THE BRIDE CUPCAKE(tm)

I love a wedding..don't you??? :D My hubby and I have 2 boys, alas, Fat Daddy will never be "father of the bride", so I've gone ahead and given him the joy of being a cupcake daddy! Every FAT DADDY OF THE BRIDE CUPCAKE that's sold is like a little mini walk down the aisle for him ;p
This cupcake is my own recipe for a truly delicious, moist white cake filled with a breathtaking raspberry filling. This romantic, sweet, confection is topped off with pure gourmet Nielsen-Massey vanilla buttercream that will have you saying "I Do!" over and over again!!

This cupcake makes a beautiful wedding favor for any size wedding or any function you have in mind. We love custom orders and can accommodate up to 500 cupcakes for any occasion! Please contact us to discuss bulk discounts, shipping charges and optional ribbon choices(cupcake pictured above shows optional wedding ribbon, available for an extra cost).

As always all my baked goods are made to order with the finest of ingredients and shipped USPS Priority Mail. Due to the high number of orders we receive, please allow 7-10 days for shipping.If you would like faster shipping, please contact me.




You can check out even more photos, which will likely make you want to order these yummy treats, on the Fat Daddy Bakeshop MySpace page:

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've had these from Yummy Cupcake in Burbank, CA. It's the coolest thing ever! I think It's the only way to mail a cupcake. Fat Daddy is still a but pricey.
One Happy Tree said…
OMG! I literally "schedule" my orders! I put an "ticker" in my calendar and have it email me a reminder to order another Fat Daddy Cup Cake!!! I LOVE THEM SOOOOO!!!
One down side is that if you don't order your fav's immediately, they'll disappear fast! I was about to purchased the "Smooth Criminal" when I decided to look one more cupcake. When I went back to purchase, it was gone!!! WAAAA!!!! That's ok, I got the "Chocolate Envy" cup cake!!! I can taste it now.....
Oh my god, what a great idea! I've been trying to figure out how to ship cupcakes forever! And they look absolutely amazing....
Anonymous said…
OMG...best idea ever!!