Allison and Rachel try PhillySwirl's ice cream cupcakes



PhillySwirl was kind enough to send us some samples of their ice cream cupcakes to try. What a great idea, especially as the weather, at least in New York, is getting warmer. These were delicious of course - how could they not be? The top of the vanilla ones had a sortof whipped-cream like cloud of topping, and the it tasted a little bit like an ice cream sandwich, but more on the sandwich than the cupcake. The one I liked best was the chocolate one, which had a brownie-like cake consistency. I think kids may be more into these than adults, though I gave some to friends who raved about them. I was impressed with the mix of textures; they were packed very tightly together. It's not the same as eating a cupcake, obviously; it's colder and you've got the richness of the ice cream, but they were very good and I could see snacking on one on a hot summer day.

I think these are wonderful though I think they are stretching the limits of what we call cupcakes. Then again, cupcakes are being filled with pudding, cream, jelly, etc., so I think there's room for all sorts of cupcake ingenuity. I would call this an "ice cream cupcake" though, not just a regular old cupcake. See more photos in Allison's Flickr set.

They come in packs of 12, which are then divided into packs of 6, like this:



Closeup of the cupcakes:



This is what one looked like on the inside:



More information:

PhillySwirl website

Press release

Comments

Kelli said…
I had gone to there sight to find them in my home town, have tried two stores but no luck yet. I am going to keep looking. Thanks for reminding me of them
Anonymous said…
I think ice cream cupcakes is a wonderful idea! I imagine it would be fairly easy to make these instead of buying a package from the store; then I can control the ingredients. If the packaged ice cream cupcakes contain hydrogenated oils or HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup), that ruins the appeal completely for me.