Cupcakes, dieting, and Hungry Girls

We got an email from a cupcake lover and blog reader asking how we stay in shape and eat so many cupcakes. Well, as someone who has and continues to struggle with her weight, let me say that it's not easy. I don't eat cupcakes every day and wouldn't even want to (though this past weekend I ate cupcakes on 3 separate occasions and will be posting about Saturday's cupcake adventures as soon as I find my USB cable!).

Anyway, my point is, there is such a thing as too many cupcakes, both for our health and our taste buds. With a Crumbs cupcake having 700 calories and a Magnolia cupcake having 389 calories, we do need to care about this. Ideally, I'd eat them maybe once a week, or once every two weeks, because when I have them too often for my taste, the sweetness all tends to blend together. Cupcakes Take the Cake blogger and resident baker Allison is a personal trainer at CrossFitNYC, so that's how she stays in shape. I think eating cupcakes in moderation is key. Also: share your cupcakes! Unless their minis, I really don't need to eat a whole cupcake to get the taste. Besides, I'd rather eat two different halves or four different quarters of cupcakes to try multiple flavors (unless it's something beyond delicious that I must have all to myself). Sharing cupcakes is not only a good way to not overdo it, it's also more fun, if you ask me.



I just bought the book Hungry Girl by Lisa Lillien based on the newsletter and website of the same name. While I was expecting cooking and food shopping tips, I wasn't expecting to see cupcakes in there! So it was a pleasant surprise to see three cupcake recipes for these cupcakes seen below (you've gotta get the book for the recipes). Find out more about the book here. And tell us in the comments how you juggle loving cupcakes and eating healthy. We're late to this, but there's a few more stops (SF and LA) on the Hungry Girl book tour. And look: here's a recipe for carrot cake cupcakes with only 130 calories each. Woo-hoo!

Death by chocolate cupcakes




PER SERVING (1 cupcake):
108 calories, 2.5g fat, 239mg sodium, 19g carbs, 1g fiber, 12g sugars, 2g protein

Caramel Pumpkin Pudding Cupcakes



PER SERVING (1 cupcake):
108 calories, 2g fat, 188mg sodium, 21g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 12g sugars, 2g protein

Berry-licious cupcakes



PER SERVING (1 frosted cupcake):
113 calories, 2g fat, 197mg sodium, 21g carbs, 0g fiber, 11g sugars, 3g protein

Comments

Anonymous said…
OH....MY....GAWD! What the heck are they putting into their cupcakes? How big are they?? I've never eaten or even seen (in real life) a cupcake from either of the bakeries listed in the linked article, but surely they must be injecting lard into them.

I make standard size cupcakes, use real butter, buttermilk and eggs, and mine don't have the calorie count of those things.

I'm a pretty fit person who eats sweets on occasion, and even when trying out new recipes or checking for flavor consistency in my recipes, I don't eat the entire cupcake. I agree with the comment that everything needs to be in moderation, and if you're really concerned or have special dietary concerns, cut the calories and your sugar intake by finding a cupcakery or bakery that specializes in making your treat sugar-free.
Anonymous said…
When I was in NYC I couldn't believe the size of the cupcakes compared to what we have here in the UK.

Magnolias cupcakes were kind of what I expected but the ones from crumbs were massive!

I think when they are that big you don't enjoy eating them so much because you just feel sick and fat by the time you have finished it all!

If I wanted to eat that much cake, Id much rather have 2 different smaller cakes than one massive one.
Anonymous said…
BTW this has kinda explained to me how I managed to gain 5lb on a 8 day holiday. We ate cupcakes at least twice most days.
Anonymous said…
i have lost 56.2 lbs in the last 9 months with weight watchers.
i love me some cupcakes.
my license plate even says "4CPCAKE".
sadly though, i've only had two cupcakes in the last 9 months.
i'll tell you...those 100 cal. packs of "cupcakes" don't do it for me.
so how have i managed?
i tell myself all the time that i don't "need" a cupcake.
and when i have had one, i make sure it's a really, really good one. :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hapagirl
melika