Miel y Leche's awesome cupcakes

So as I mentioned yesterday, I'm in Minneapolis, and today and tomorrow have a bunch of bakeries that have been recommended to me. Yesterday, I went to Letterbox, a stationery store, and was lucky enough not to miss the wonderful cupcakes by Sheela Namakkal of Miel y Leche. She has about 50 flavors that she rotates each weekend. Sheela's fabulous and we talked cupcakes for a good two hours. She said that since she's been selling at Letterbox, and Golden Fig in St. Paul on Fridays, she's had to increase the number of cupcakes she sells. They sell out really fast, so if you want some, get there at noon. She also does catering and often takes customer ideas for flavors (she's working on cotton candy and Cherry Coke cupcakes). You can reach her at s at mielyleche.net if you have a custom order.

All photos by Aaron Landry via Flickr.


Rachel with Miel y Leche baker Sheela


These cupcakes, with coconut frosting and strawberry preserves, were my favorites.


The Fauxstess cupcakes were chocolatey and delicious (and vegan!).


Lemon cream cheese cupcakes


Chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting

I'm not normally a fan of cream cheese frosting, but these were done with a light touch and the lemon was delicious. Of course, I was a little full from stuffing my face with the above two cupcakes to fully appreciate them.

What I liked overall was that these were the perfect size - small, but not too small, yet not too big that you couldn't enjoy more than one comfortably. The flavors were each unique and the presentation was wonderful - a jelly bean on top of the lemon cupcakes, the strawberry on top of the strawberry coconut ones. I'm only sad that I won't get to try more of Sheela's cupcakes while I'm here because she makes some truly amazing flavors. Next time!

Please do check out Miel y Leche website and photo-filled blog and I'll have an interview with Sheela here soon!

Comments