Cupcake interview with Mary Rambin



Name: Mary Rambin
Age: 26
Location: Manhattan
Occupation: Handbag Designer, Style Blogger
URL: www.stylebymaryrambin.com

How often do you eat cupcakes?

Once a month. They are a treat! I would eat them more often, but I can’t find a healthy cupcake like the vegan cookies I enjoy on a daily basis.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

The frosting!

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

My favorite cupcake is red velvet with cream cheese frosting. Although a close second is a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

They are a very close second to my all time favorite: cookies.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

I think more cupcakes should have creamy/mousse fillings. I’d also like to incorporate nuts somehow…like a salty peanut or almond. I’m a sweet and salty girl!

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I do bake my own cupcakes and frosting from scratch, but that’s usually only on special occasions. Buttercup or Crumbs is kind enough to bake them for me in NYC, Sprinkles does the honors in LA.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Diving into my first Sprinkles Red Velvet cupcake is my favorite memory. The boutique bakery had just opened. With promises of overwhelming satisfaction, Andy made us wait in the hour-long line for the treats. And then, finally, armed with a glass of skim milk with ice, I bit into the soft, sweet cake for the first time. There were no words, the world stopped turning for an instant. WOW!

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

Andy and I got into a cupcake war once. Icing everywhere, you can imagine the scene.

Do you have anything else to add?

It’s okay to just have a cupcake for lunch. It’s filling, and it’s the only part you’re going to enjoy. So if you want the cupcake and not the calories, fat, sugar, etc., skip the salad and go straight for the cake!

As a little bonus, check out this video Mary shot of Andy enjoying a Sprinkles cupcake:


Andy's Love for Sprinkles from Mary Rambin on Vimeo.

Comments