Cupcake interview: Melissa Schack from Life in a Peanut Shell

Melissa, cupcake interviewee

Name: Melissa Schack
Age: 25
Location: Upper East Side, Manhattan
Occupation: Sports Radio
URL: www.lifeinapeanutshell.com

How often do you eat cupcakes?

This definitely depends what time of the year it is! In the winter I can eat cupcakes every day because I don't have to worry about being in a bathing suit! During the warm months I take it down a notch and eat maybe 2 per week. All of this, of course, also depends on how much baking I'm doing. The more I bake it, the more I eat it :) My willpower=zero.

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

Cupcakes are one's own individual treat. People don't share cupcakes. There isn’t any "oh, can I have a bite of that?" going on. Cupcakes are yours and yours only. Therefore, the non-sharing element is most definitely the best thing about cupcakes. No forks. No knives. No spoons. Just hands. Who would ever, in their right mind, want to share a sweet treat? Exactly.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

You can't go wrong with a classic cupcake. Nothing fancy, just old school. I'm a sucker for any white and/or yellow cake with some sort of vanilla frosting and simple colored sprinkles.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

I love and bake all different types of baked goods from pies, to brownies, to muffins, but cupcakes are my favorite. Cupcakes allow for so much creativity whereas other baked goods may not. I could bake a dozen cupcakes and have the opportunity to decorate and create each one differently. Sky's the limit with cupcakes!

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

I'd love to sit here and say that I would like to see cupcakes made more healthily but who am I kidding? They wouldn’t be as glorified without the richness.

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes
them for you?


I absolutely bake all my own cupcakes. Baking creates a stress-free environment for me therefore I do it very often! My Manhattan apartment has an unusually large sized kitchen which I'm grateful for, so I like to take advantage of that as much as possible.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

I'm a twin and I distinctly remember having cupcakes at our 4th birthday. My twin brother had his own dozen and I had my own. I can still feel that sense of excitement.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

In college I made my roommate a birthday cake out of cupcakes and then tiered them. The base was made out of king sized cupcakes, then came jumbo, regular, and topped off with mini sized. I decorated each tier differently. Tackling this creation was so much fun.

Do you have anything else to add?

I'm so passionate about baking and hope to open my own bakery some day! When this dream comes true come back and interview me!

Comments